Had my hours reduced, is leaving really the only option?

So my employer had a bit of a thing going probably to reduce holiday leave from 28 to 21 days.  Basically work Mon - Thursday, Friday classed as overtime, you can come in if you want.  

When I started last October, I said I didn’t want this, I want full time Mon-Fri.  This was agreed. 

Start of year works quiet he has stopped Friday work all together, also want to put me on this Friday overtime setup as he can’t guarantee full time Friday work.  

Apart from the not being able to afford to be off Friday the entire reason I did not want this is less holidays.

So not sure how to handle this, should I mention to the employer I’ll have to start looking elsewhere?

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,291
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    22.4 days for a 4 day working week is the equivalent of 28 days for a 5 day working week and is the statutory leave entitlement, so 21 days would be less than the legal minimum.
    https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/calculate-leave-entitlement

Your employer could make you take every Friday off as a day’s annual leave, provided they gave you the right amount of notice (two days' notice for every day they want you to take).
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £0
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 657
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 7:12AM
    22.4 days for a 4 day working week is the equivalent of 28 days for a 5 day working week and is the statutory leave entitlement, so 21 days would be less than the legal minimum.
    https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/calculate-leave-entitlement

Your employer could make you take every Friday off as a day’s annual leave, provided they gave you the right amount of notice (two days' notice for every day they want you to take).
    Well 22.4 then, either way it’s basically 6 days less leave.  It’s was the number 1 thing I wanted sorted before I took the job.  I’ve no interest in having Fridays off.
  • I think you accrue holiday from overtime.

I’m not sure you can force your employer to give you more hours. What is on your contract?
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 657
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you accrue holiday from overtime.

I’m not sure you can force your employer to give you more hours. What is on your contract?
    Never got one. It was verbal
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,799
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    n1guy said:
    I think you accrue holiday from overtime.

Never got one. It was verbal
    Well you still have a contract but obviously it is harder to prove what was agreed if it is not written down. Job advertisement, letters, emails etc ?

How long have you been employed? If less than two years you have very few rights as they could simply give you notice if you don't agree to the proposed change. Even if more than two years it is still very easy for an employer to make such changes citing "business / economic" reasons etc
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,804
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The thing is, you may have fewer holidays, but you also have fewer days on which you need to take one. If you want a week's leave, you book 4 days. If you want a Friday for a weekend away, you book none. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure