Historic Banding Reduction Query

Options
i lived in a property between 1994 and 2013, ive been made aware that property had a band reduction, i can see from the Valution Office website that the band reduction dates back to 01/04/1993, However when i contacted the council they stated due to a data cleanse they no longer hold data going back that far, i know its over 10 years old now and dating back almost 30 years, but is this correct that now the council no longer hold the data im not entitled to it?? 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,655 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 January at 3:29PM
    Options
    As they no longer hold the data they have no record of your CT payments so have no idea if you are due a reduction and for how much.Effectively there is nothing you can do
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • a_day_in_Life32
    Options
    i thought councils were supposed to keep their records in line with the Valuation office which is 1993 as there hasnt been a new list made? 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,655 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apparently not. From reading several council websites it appears they now only keep records of CT payments for 6 years after the end of the applicable financial year. As CT payment records have personal data, this may be why they are not kept any longer
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback