Balancing Work with Childcare

Options
SieIso
SieIso Posts: 151 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 23 January at 5:38PM in Child support
Hi All,

I know there is no right or wrong answer to this but I am interested in hearing from parents who work and have children in childcare/nursery.

My partner and I both work fulltime, at the moment our two kids are in childcare which runs from 07:30-18:00 and whilst collections can be a stretch it works. However, our eldest will be of nursery age in September but the times are generally inconvenient, e.g. 09:00-13:00 or 10:13:30. I was wondering how other parents balance this out between childcare and work.

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds like a school nursery with those times. You could find a childminder to pick up but they often charge for the time the child is at nursery (because they can't fill the space just for the absent hours plus they are usually on 'standby' in case child needs unexpectedly picking up). If you child is already at  a private nursery why can't you leave them there and just use the 3+ funding to reduce the bill a little?

If the current nursery doesn't offer this, I'd look for one that accepts 3 year olds but is open the same hours you're currently doing.

Please take the childcare aspect into account when choosing a f-time school too. es
  • SieIso
    edited 29 January at 11:31AM
    Options
    Spendless said:
    That sounds like a school nursery with those times. You could find a childminder to pick up but they often charge for the time the child is at nursery (because they can't fill the space just for the absent hours plus they are usually on 'standby' in case child needs unexpectedly picking up). If you child is already at  a private nursery why can't you leave them there and just use the 3+ funding to reduce the bill a little?

If the current nursery doesn't offer this, I'd look for one that accepts 3 year olds but is open the same hours you're currently doing.

Please take the childcare aspect into account when choosing a f-time school too. es
    What is 3+ funding?

Also, my partner feels that by not sending them to nursery school, it may impact their development.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My grandson goes  to an  After School Club.

They take children from 3 yrs.

They collect the children from the school and take them to the club premises. 

Parents pick them up from there.

They provide cover until 6 pm.

They also have a breakfast club from7.00am.

Children are given a breakfast and have activities until it is time to take them to the school.

It is run by a Scottish Charity.  Ask the school if there is any such organisation for your school.

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 January at 9:26AM
    Options
    SieIso said:
    Spendless said:

What is 3+ funding?

Also, my partner feels that by not sending them to nursery school, it may impact their development.
    https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-and-education-for-2-to-4-year-olds

IMO the Government has confused the issue by calling this childcare. It's Nursery education available to all children the term after their 3rd birthday until they go into Reception. My 2 got it and they're in their 20s. It's for 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year. This is in England, I'm unsure what's available in different parts of the UK.  

You can still send your child to nursery and use this funding, just choose one that has the extended hours you need. 

What sort of childcare are you currently using? 
  • SieIso
    Options
    Spendless said:
    SieIso said:
    Spendless said:

What is 3+ funding?

https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-and-education-for-2-to-4-year-olds

IMO the Government has confused the issue by calling this childcare. It's Nursery education available to all children the term after their 3rd birthday until they go into Reception. My 2 got it and they're in their 20s. It's for 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year. This is in England, I'm unsure what's available in different parts of the UK.  

You can still send your child to nursery and use this funding, just choose one that has the extended hours you need. 

What sort of childcare are you currently using? 
    I'm from Northern Ireland - we're excluded.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback