Completed mortgage - what happens next?!

Our Nationwide mortgage will be fully repaid this year - but we’ve no idea what happens then!

Do we have to pay them to send us the documents, or do we pay them to store them? Do we just get them from the land registry?

If we do need to pay for secure storage - what is a good annual rate?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,852
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    all electronic these days, just get a letter charge removed
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,270
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You'll be charged a mortgage redemption fee with your last payment. This will cover the inhouse legal costs of removing the charge on the property registered with the Land Registry. This will be confirmed in writing some weeks later. The administration process taking a while. 
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,741
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Organisation Representative
    Nationwide will remove the charge from the registered title electronically and direct with us. There’s nothing for you to then ‘hold’ as proof of ownership
    Have a read of our blog article for a fuller explanation  
    https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/19/title-deeds/
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • garfield33
    garfield33 Posts: 301
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi everyone, thank you for your advice / knowledge :)
  • KevinUTO1867
    KevinUTO1867 Posts: 31
    First Post
    Forumite
    Congratuations on nearing the end of your mortgage - must be a great feeling! :). Enjoy the extra money and being mortgage-free!
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 591
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I did this at the end of last year. You should phone a couple of weeks before to ask for a redemption figure, to make sure your final payment is for the exact amount owing. This will include any fees. If you have less than 10 years left on your mortgage, there is no admin fee to pay.
    As others have said, there are no paper documents as everything is held electronically. I recommend signing up for Land Registry alerts, if you are not already signed up. You will then receive a notification when Nationwide apply to remove the charge from your mortgage. Going forward, it's a good idea to sign up for these alerts anyway, as not having a mortgage makes is that slight bit easier for someone to "steal" your property.
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,169
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you register for land registry alerts on your house then you will know when the charge has been applied to be removed. 
  • MrWannabe
    MrWannabe Posts: 14
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Following this thread with interest, as late February, my current (10yr!) fixed mortgage term finally comes to an end.  The outstanding balance will be very low.  I plan to pay off the balance the very day the fixed term ends (the SVR I will revert to is extortionately high, so out of principal, I don’t want to be hit with even 1 day of interest at the SVR rate)

Anyway, looking forward to finally being mortgage free & in readiness/after reading the earlier comments on this thread, I have signed up for Land Registry Property Alerts (this process also gave me visibility of the title number, although I guess I likely have that on paperwork somewhere in the house!)

Also, I have created an account with GOV.UK Property Information Services. When I search against the title number on GOV.UK Property Information Services, I am presented with the option of paying for the ‘Title Register’ (£3) and/or ‘Title Plan’ (also £3).  Would be interested in any comments/thoughts about these documents.  More than happy to pay the small fee for each, but am I correct in thinking  that it would make sense to order/pay for these documents only after I have paid off the mortgage?  I understand that the ‘Title Register’ details whether there is a mortgage on the property.  Does anyone know how long I should leave it after paying off the mortgage before ordering the ‘Title Deed’?   I guess I need to allow enough time for records to be updated (to show no mortgage on the property) before ordering the ‘Title Deed’ but the question is, how long does/should it take for details to be updated?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,360
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MrWannabe said:

When I search against the title number on GOV.UK Property Information Services, I am presented with the option of paying for the ‘Title Register’ (£3) and/or ‘Title Plan’ (also £3).  Would be interested in any comments/thoughts about these documents.  More than happy to pay the small fee for each, but am I correct in thinking  that it would make sense to order/pay for these documents only after I have paid off the mortgage?  I understand that the ‘Title Register’ details whether there is a mortgage on the property.  Does anyone know how long I should leave it after paying off the mortgage before ordering the ‘Title Deed’?   I guess I need to allow enough time for records to be updated (to show no mortgage on the property) before ordering the ‘Title Deed’ but the question is, how long does/should it take for details to be updated?
    Is there any particular reason for wanting it? All it is is a record of what was on the Land Registry's system at the time you download it. If you already have a copy of your title then the only difference would be the charge being removed.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,741
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Organisation Representative
    Timescales vary from lender to lender as to how swiftly each lender removes (discharges) the mortgage (legal charge). Generally speaking on average it’s around 12 days but can be as long as 4 weeks. 
    There’s no rush though as suggested as you can view/download the register at any time and as and when you need to 
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback