Problem Paying with Barclays Online

I’ve been in touch with the Pensions Centre and HMRC, and received my 18 digit code to make a bulk one off payment for four years contributions to my state pension, total over 3k.

I was entering the payment details the HMRC gave me.

I typed HMRC NIC RECEIPTS and the sort code and account number under new payee. 

For the HMRC, it gave me two options, a defiency payment account, and a quarterly account.

I chose the defiency payment as I understood this was a one off payment.

Then, when I filled everything else out and clicked to send, a message said because it was a payment to a new payee over £2k it would not be allowed today, and something about trying again tomorrow?

Has anyone encountered problems like this paying online?
Do they suggest trying something else, or should I try tomorrow if that’s what the message meant?
Thanks

Comments

• pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,241
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Depending on your account with Barclays you may be limited to £2k per day online payments.  Why not use the Pay option on GOV UK Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk), so that HMRC pulls the payment like when you pay for things more generally online?
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 871
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pinnks said:
    Depending on your account with Barclays you may be limited to £2k per day online payments.  Why not use the Pay option on GOV UK Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk), so that HMRC pulls the payment like when you pay for things more generally online?
    Thanks.

This looked great and I was going through the process okay until it asked me to use my card reader.

I haven’t had one for several years now, and don’t believe I have one now.

It then said my app will generate an 8 digit number, but when I started the process there was a warning only had a ten minute window.

By the time I had figured it out and entered this 8 digit number, the next window or tab said I had timed out of my session, even though I’m sure the ten minutes weren’t up.

With this payment to make of over £3k to pay, with things like above going on it’s making me nervous in truth. Would they take payment over the phone?
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,241
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I am not sure about payment over the phone but the Barclays App will generate the same code as you get from a card reader. It's called mobile PINsentry and is quickly accessible when needed in the App.  Letting HMRC pull the payment from you is the lowest risk option in my view as they pre-populate the details and you just authorise it.  That said, before trying again, I would check the Barclays App to make sure it didn't go through first time...
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 871
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 January at 11:39AM
    pinnks said:
    I am not sure about payment over the phone but the Barclays App will generate the same code as you get from a card reader. It's called mobile PINsentry and is quickly accessible when needed in the App.  Letting HMRC pull the payment from you is the lowest risk option in my view as they pre-populate the details and you just authorise it.  That said, before trying again, I would check the Barclays App to make sure it didn't go through first time...
    I just tried again, prepared with a card reader and fingers crossed all seems to have gone through okay. Now the wait to see it update on the state pension forecast in perhaps a couple of months time.

’Interesting’ as the payment went through as HMRC NICO which was different to the one given, but the same as I had used about 3 years ago!

After thinking about this for a number of years now, feels good today having done it.

Now, to think about writing a will, and doing our bathroom which is on it’s last legs!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback