Bank holidays query

Hi.  
      I’ve recently took on a small part time job to keep me occupied working Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays .
Another person started the same day as me and they are doing the Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays .
on both our terms and conditions it states we get 12 days holiday and 5 days bank holidays ,      The bank holidays fall on a Monday so the other one is getting paid 5 days  to stay at home .
As don’t work bank holidays it does apply to me ,  In my previous job all stat holidays were put in with the rest to be taken when you wanted , so this is new to me ,       Am I missing out somewhere ? Or just my luck for not working the Mondays 
                    Thanks 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,557
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good Friday = Public Holiday.
    Christmas/Boxing/New year Day can also fall on your working days.
    So you have 3 days in 2024 👍
    Life in the slow lane
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,737
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What has your employer said when you asked them?
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,747
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    johnnyren said:
    Hi.  
          I’ve recently took on a small part time job to keep me occupied working Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays .
    Another person started the same day as me and they are doing the Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays .
    on both our terms and conditions it states we get 12 days holiday and 5 days bank holidays ,      The bank holidays fall on a Monday so the other one is getting paid 5 days  to stay at home .
    As don’t work bank holidays it does apply to me ,  In my previous job all stat holidays were put in with the rest to be taken when you wanted , so this is new to me ,       Am I missing out somewhere ? Or just my luck for not working the Mondays 
                        Thanks 
    Well, for someone working 3 days a week, 17 days is the statutory entitlement.

If you wouldn't have had 5 bank holidays on days when you would have been working, then that number of days should be available to you request as other days off.

They cannot say that you didn't work on, for example, a bank holiday Monday and therefore you've had that holiday.  The time involved must be allowed on a weekday when you would otherwise be working.

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    At my work you get the entitlement in one pot and then they book off the bank holidays for you out of your entitlement and you get what's left. You legally need to have 17 days, so if you only have 3 bank holidays off, the other two days should be available for you to book 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback