Council Tax Challenge

Options
Hi, I moved into my house last September and have just checked my neighbours council tax band. Most in my area are Band E but I am Band F. I have used the 'Estimate your home's value' calculator which advises I should be in Band G. Should I go ahead and challenge my band as I feel the houses in Band E are larger than mine?

Comments

• njkmr
    njkmr Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    What happens if they come back and say thank you, we've changed you to Band G.?
    But risky possibly.?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,657 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January at 3:47PM
    Options
    When you say "I feel the houses in Band E are larger", what leads you to this feeling?

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Rhump_82
    Rhump_82 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Viewing our neighbours property on Rightmove has made me feel this way. It's a bit like gambling, I could save myself over £500 a year if my band is lowered or it could increase by £500 in the higher band.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Are the room sizes larger than yours? Are there more rooms?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Rhump_82
    Options
    The room sizes look the same. Our other neighbour has said the house next to our at Band E is the largest on the street even more so now they have completed an extension.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    The extension on the neighbour's house can't be reflected in the CT band until the house is next sold. If all the houses to which you refer are of the same age and type (e.g. all detached) then possibly your band is incorrect or possibly the Band E houses are too low. If the VOA will play ball it might be best to have an informal chat with them first
  • Rhump_82
    Options
    Thanks I will give it a go. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business