Websites that pay you for spending money!

Options
Romepen
Romepen Posts: 10 Forumite
First Post
edited 18 January at 11:32AM in Boost your income
Are there websites that pay me for spending and buying. A friend at work told me there is and she uses them all the time.

What are they called and are they safe to use?  

Comments

• Floyd_Pink
    Floyd_Pink Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 18 January at 10:29AM
    Options
    https://www.quidco.com/

cashback sites. safe and recommended by Martin Lewis himself.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cashback-websites/
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ask friend what one(s) they use. 
    They refer / recommend you (give a link) and when you open account and start using you both get extra cash back!

Cashback rewards credit cards can be used as well.

We use Quidco and Topcashback.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Romepen said:
    Are there websites that pay me for spending and buying. A friend at work told me there is and she uses them all the time.

Ask your friend as its one of two things...

Cashback sites (eg Quidco) use affiliate marketing links and in exchange for you clicking through they share with you most the commission they earn. For most stores it's a few percent of the total you spend less VAT and so it's a little bit back but not something you make money on. Not all transactions track so be careful that you don't buy just for the commission as it may not happen. There are a couple of big names that are perfectly "safe" to use. 

Mystery Shopper jobs, this in theory is paid work, you buy stuff, you write a review on your experience and you get reimbursed for what you bought and paid for the review. Inevitably as a money making scheme this is much more prone to scams and there are probably a few hundred fake/scam sites for every genuine one. 
  • gypsymoth
    gypsymoth Posts: 112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Romepen said:

Ask your friend as its one of two things...

Cashback sites (eg Quidco) use affiliate marketing links and in exchange for you clicking through they share with you most the commission they earn. For most stores it's a few percent of the total you spend less VAT and so it's a little bit back but not something you make money on. Not all transactions track so be careful that you don't buy just for the commission as it may not happen. There are a couple of big names that are perfectly "safe" to use. 

Mystery Shopper jobs, this in theory is paid work, you buy stuff, you write a review on your experience and you get reimbursed for what you bought and paid for the review. Inevitably as a money making scheme this is much more prone to scams and there are probably a few hundred fake/scam sites for every genuine one. 
    Question - I could be wrong but didnt Quidco used to show retailer payout rates as a %?

Can't seem to see that now - I'm weighing up Sky Broadband

The Payout rate was a good was to check if a payout was likely or not!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prefer Topcashback to Quidco. I signed up to Quidco via MSE when it had a £25 signup offer. I've made the required purchases which have tracked and I've been paid, but where the £25 is is a mystery.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• gypsymoth
    gypsymoth Posts: 112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slinky said:
    Prefer Topcashback to Quidco. I signed up to Quidco via MSE when it had a £25 signup offer. I've made the required purchases which have tracked and I've been paid, but where the £25 is is a mystery.
    Thanks

Been impressed with TCB payout recently and they do publish retailer payout rates

Just baffled why Quidco don't any more
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure