Council Tax - New Build

Options
We bought our new build property in 2018 and the site was developed on an old hospital site with farmland surrounding us with no other residential properties nearby.

I'm currently getting information to contest our council tax band (currently in C) as it seems to be too high for the value of the property. 

Due to no houses on the site existing before 2018 I'm unable to compare and contrast the council bands to neighbouring properties as the site was assigned the bands in a grouping so we are all the same.

Using the 1991 property calculator our property would be placed in band B and aware this information alone is not enough for the VOA to consider. 

I've widened the search to previous house sales on the first 4 digits of the postcode and its brings up a large range of houses that sold for the same value as our property in 2018 and these are shown to be in the lower banding.

Would VOA accept this evidence? If not has anyone been in a similar position to this where we have no nearby properties on site that we can compare to that existed before the new build development?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,657 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Impossible to say if the VOA would agree that the evidence you provide to support your case would justify a band reduction. You can only submit it and see if they agree.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback