Lost car in Luton fire, new one failed it's MOT

We lost our car in the Luton Airport car park fire.  We had a courtesy car for a couple of weeks, until the insurance paid out.  

At the time my husband wanted to get a good replacement (our car was very reliable, low mileage for it's age and we spent a lot of money on keeping it in top condition.  Unfortunately the cars we looked at didn't compare.  My husband wasn't too concerned as he used a scooter to commute to work.

When it got to the second half of November, the scooter commute was no longer viable.  He works shifts - sometimes starting at 4.15am and finishing at 1am, the scooters aren't available at that time, plus it was getting colder.

He bought a car for £950, just as a run around to tide us over.  The car's MOT was due today, but the seller (a student but has a lot of cars for sale on Facebook and eBay), said it was fine mechanically.  My husband was desperate even though I was unsure.

Today it failed.  The garage has said the repairs will be £800 - £900 to fix.  We have access to another car we can borrow, but my husband is obviously unhappy.

I'm guessing that we have no comeback and it's best to just scrap it and cut our losses?

Comments

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,086
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Student with a lot of cars being sold through eBay and Facebook? Wouldn’t be so sure, sounds more of a dealer. Not sure you’ve got any redress unless it was advised as being in good running order. Anything written as to the cars condition or all oral? 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    What specifically has it failed its MOT on, i.e. anything that would counter the assurance that it was "fine mechanically"?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,807
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You are not giving much detail, I assume this is just to let off steam.
    A private seller sold you a car and when the MOT is due you stand to pay out £800
    Is £800 really OTT for an MOT?
    It is a lot of money, but stating the car is fine mechanically is no guarantee when it comes to the MOT.
    Take it somewhere else, it could be cheaper.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Insist that any future car you buy has a fresh MOT.
  • He says that they are all in good order, FSH, etc.  I just realised that although our car passed it's last MOT, it had failed before on similar issues.  It finally failed on the advisories from before (although they magically disappeared on the MOT we bought it with, which was the first time it had ever passed first time, and it had no advisories).
  • I can't post a screenshot of what it failed on, but it failed on:

• Nearside Rear Tyre has ply or cords exposed (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
    Repair immediately (major defects):
    • Parking brake lever has excessive movement indicating incorrect adjustment (1.1.6 (c))
    • Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of a single lamp or all lamps both (4.7.1 (b) (ii))
    • Nearside Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
    • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases centre exhaust (6.1.2 (a))
    • Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 (c))
    • Exhaust emissions likely to be affected by an exhaust leak (8.2.1.1 (b))
    • Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
    Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
    • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge wearing on inner edge (5.2.3 (e))
    • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge wearing on inner edge (5.2.3 (e))
    • Nearside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened lightly corroded (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
    • Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,052
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    He says that they are all in good order, FSH, etc.  I just realised that although our car passed it's last MOT, it had failed before on similar issues.  It finally failed on the advisories from before (although they magically disappeared on the MOT we bought it with, which was the first time it had ever passed first time, and it had no advisories).
    Sounds like they took it too a mates /friends garage but proving it will be a hard, best thing might be to get it repaired and pass its MOT then you get a years motoring till you buy something better.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 454
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You bought a car in November for £950 with two month's MOT remaining. It was obviously going to fail, otherwise the seller would have MOT'd it themselves and sold for much more.

Perhaps your expectations are too high?

Straight, low mileage cars that will pass an MOT and hopefully be reliable cost significantly more these days, certainly far more than you've spent.

£950 is likely a few months away from scrap, as you've unfortunately found out.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,910
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 7:55PM
    I can't post a screenshot of what it failed on, but it failed on:

• Nearside Rear Tyre has ply or cords exposed (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
    Repair immediately (major defects):
    • Parking brake lever has excessive movement indicating incorrect adjustment (1.1.6 (c))
    • Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of a single lamp or all lamps both (4.7.1 (b) (ii))
    • Nearside Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
    • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases centre exhaust (6.1.2 (a))
    • Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 (c))
    • Exhaust emissions likely to be affected by an exhaust leak (8.2.1.1 (b))
    • Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))

So it needs a cheap tyre, the exhaust fixing which will more than likely sort the emissions, the hand brake adjusting/servicing, a numberplate bulb and either a new headlight or the bulb fitting correctly.

Take it to a cheap garage for a quote and an MOT, you can get another year out of it easily for a few hundred pounds- the exhaust is the biggest expense.

I'd guess the seller knew the exhaust wanted replacing for MOT and that was why he didn't get one.

tbh, it isn't rotten, it is worth spending £500 on it, then it will need tyres and possibly that balljoint in the future.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback