trying to save money on supplements, any thoughts?

Options
Hi folks, hope all is well we started the new year on a tighter budget want to cancel subscriptions on my vitamins costing  total of £84 a month any ways of saving? are any supermarkets online or coupons sites etc? No clue any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 467 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The best way to save is simply not to buy the supplements.  In the UK the lack of sunlight means that a certain amount of vitamin D supplements is advised, however if you consume a reasonable balanced diet then why do you need supplements?  Consuming excess supplements just means that whatever your body excretes becomes very expensive
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you do definitely need the supplement, you can get a basic multivitamin from supermarket/boots for less than a fiver a month, or something tailored to your age/gender (wellwoman or that sort of thing) for less than a tenner
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I get a simple VitD with calcium from Lidl - think it costs about £2 and is good for 2 months.  If I think I have a cold coming on or a tickle in the throat I have some lemon & zinc tea which cost about £3 and has lasted about 18 months and I'm probably only half way through it.  

Unless you have a very odd metabolism all you need really is a healthy diet.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you or someone you know has a CostCo membership, their Vitamin D is excellent value.  They do others as well but that's the only one I've really investigated price-wise.  I have noticed they don't do any with iron though, so those I get from Holland and Barrett when there's a good offer on.

But as is often the way, it's just a case of shopping around to find what you specifically are looking for, for the lowest price from a reputable source.  If you're able to physically go out and compare them from supermarkets / high street stores that's a good place to start.  Otherwise, Google is your friend if you are fairly information literate and able to see through wild claims - reputable source is the key.

[I only look on Amazon if I have a specific product in mind AND if it comes from a seller on there that's either clearly the business themselves, or Amazon.  I steer clear of random-named Amazon shops for things like this because you can't be sure if you'll get the legit product or a cheap knockoff, which is not a risk I'm willing to take with anything that goes into or on my body.]
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would buy multi vits and minerals from superdrug and found that buying 3 x 30 tubs on their 3 for 2 offer was cheaper than a tub with 90 in.

Recently given up multi vits and brewers yeast because of cost.
    A doctor I know says the vit d in supermarkets is fine and cheap.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport