Being employed and a sole trader.

Hi all, I’ve just set up as a sole trader but struggling to find work at the moment so have decided to get a job as an employee.  Can I still stay as a sole trader and be employed at the same time? And what steps do I need to follow? I have been offered a full time job but not sure what information I should tell them. 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,754
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jdot1969 said:
    Hi all, I’ve just set up as a sole trader but struggling to find work at the moment so have decided to get a job as an employee.  Can I still stay as a sole trader and be employed at the same time? And what steps do I need to follow? I have been offered a full time job but not sure what information I should tell them. 

Yes.  You can be both self-employed (ie sole trader) and an employee at the same time.

As an employee you can complete a new starter checklist (see Starter checklist (publishing.service.gov.uk)
    You should be able to work out which boxes to tick.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,182
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jdot1969 said:

Large numbers of people are... either whilst they grow their sole trader work to allow them to give up being an employee or to top up their salary with no intent of ever being full time self employed.

When you do your tax return you just complete both the self employed and employed sections of the SA100
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,821
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You should check whether your contract says anything about other work, and needing permission to do it. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure