Wetting one's whistle, soberly

Comments

• MSE_Ciara
    MSE_Ciara Posts: 9 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks so much to everyone for your recommendations - we tried Erdinger and it was a winner, even for me who doesn't care for wheat beer, as was Guinness 0 (I forgot to mention that one's already a favourite!).

And we're going to suss out H&B for the ginger drink, Hardys, Marks & Spencer, Lidl and Freedam (and shall be very hydrated come end of Jan by the sounds of it)! :)
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 January at 4:41PM
    MSE_Ciara said:
    Thanks so much to everyone for your recommendations - we tried Erdinger and it was a winner, even for me who doesn't care for wheat beer, as was Guinness 0 (I forgot to mention that one's already a favourite!).

And we're going to suss out H&B for the ginger drink, Hardys, Marks & Spencer, Lidl and Freedam (and shall be very hydrated come end of Jan by the sounds of it)! :)
    Ocado seem to have some offers on the 'spirits' the Sipsmith freeglider (0.5%) is £15 down from £18, and Warner's are £15 for 500ml (not reduced)  in a couple of flavours. 

Tanqueray 0% is currently £14 (down from £17) and the Gordons equivalent is £12.50 (down from £15.50)

I've also had the Tanqueray Sevilla 0% and that was very nice, in fact I'm wondering if we've got some in, so I can have one later!
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Emmia said:
    MSE_Ciara said:

Ocado seem to have some offers on the 'spirits' the Sipsmith freeglider (0.5%) is £15 down from £18, and Warner's are £15 for 500ml (not reduced)  in a couple of flavours. 

Tanqueray 0% is currently £14 (down from £17) and the Gordons equivalent is £12.50 (down from £15.50)

I've also had the Tanqueray Sevilla 0% and that was very nice, in fact I'm wondering if we've got some in, so I can have one later!
    I find most of the flavoured gins, including Tanqueray Sevilla (the real stuff) far too sweet!
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Emmia said:
    MSE_Ciara said:

I find most of the flavoured gins, including Tanqueray Sevilla (the real stuff) far too sweet!
    The zero Sevilla is less sweet than the boozy version for some reason. I found my bottle of the zero, and had some earlier with some fever tree tonic, and it was really good
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 814 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    I was catching up with sorted food on YouTube and they had a video that mentioned shrubs/drinking vinegar - there's some pricey stuff you can buy online, but it looks very easy to make from a quick Google. Equal volume vinegar, fruit, and sugar, herbs and spices if you want, boiled up and used as a cordial. I remember some people spoke about enjoying various vinegars with soda water in this thread and thought it might be of interest. I might give it a try later in the year, I'm always run off my feet in January. 
  • My partner and I have both been alcohol-free for nearly 5 years now.

we tend to either drink a mocktail if we’re out, or will buy the more expensive fruit-based drinks for an evening at home - belvoir juices are nice, or Cornish Orchards rhubarb and apple.
    I also love elderflower, so will buy a bottle/glass of that instead of a white wine (many bars will pour it into a wine glass for me so others don’t have to know I’m not drinking / stops any pressure to drink from others around me … handy as the evening goes on and alcohol-reduced politeness can lead some to say things they ordinarily wouldn’t )
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    My partner and I have both been alcohol-free for nearly 5 years now.

we tend to either drink a mocktail if we’re out, or will buy the more expensive fruit-based drinks for an evening at home - belvoir juices are nice, or Cornish Orchards rhubarb and apple.
    I also love elderflower, so will buy a bottle/glass of that instead of a white wine (many bars will pour it into a wine glass for me so others don’t have to know I’m not drinking / stops any pressure to drink from others around me … handy as the evening goes on and alcohol-reduced politeness can lead some to say things they ordinarily wouldn’t )
    Habit dictates that people sip rather than slug from wine glasses. Seem like a MSE solution all round.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I really like Erdinger, both the Weißbier and alcohol free, though the later to me doesn't taste like the former. They do a range of other beers, including a grapefruit alcohol free, but it's really rare to see them unfortunately. 

Was given a free sample of Seedlip ages ago and it really didn't do anything for me and certainly not for the price. Would rather just drink tonic water and save myself the cost but then I do go for the 1:4 ratio and not the heavily watered down ratios that many seem to go for; if you can barely taste the gin normally maybe the non-alcoholic versions pass better. 

Fevertree do some very tasty drinks that can be used as a mixer or drunk without alcohol, Cloudwater's Fresh AF is fairly good as is their sodas if you count 0.5% as alcohol free (and if you don't you better throw out the fresh orange juice thats been in the fridge a few days as that can be up to 0.7% due to natural fermentation)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you like elderflower flavour you can make your own cordial very easily & then dilute with fizzy water. I have made it quite a few times, started during lock down!
    look here
    https://veganonboard.com/the-best-homemade-elderflower-cordial/
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 February at 6:31PM
    We have champagne at Christmas and New Year but otherwise don't drink during the year.

We love River Cottage organic hedge kombucha, which is on offer at Milk & More at the moment for 1.75. Love their organic kefir too, best kefir I have tried so far.

I have a thing for Alvalle Original gazpacho and have a big glass with my breakfast. I loved Campbell's V8 Vegetable Juice but it has been discontinued in UK. Instead, I have Schweppes tomato juice with a dash of Tabasco or Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. Cheapest place to buy Lea & Perrins is B&M.

My mother lived in the country 1999-2023 and would get us foraging for elderflowers in season. She made elderflower cordial for visitors (except us). 

I tried Taylor's of Harrogate decaffeinated coffee bags and when I had black coffee, it was like bad instant so I wouldn't recommend that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback