Don't sit on it

Options
Hi all,

I've heard adverts on the radio for a company called "Don't sit on it, sell it". They buy unwanted jewellery etc.

Has anyone used them and can let me know if they're genuine please?

I can't see any review online, they don't seem to be on trust pilot or anything.

I've ordered and received the postage pack from them but just wanted to check their reviews before I send my items!

Thanks
Heather

Comments

• emsi_b
    emsi_b Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    See what price they offer on their websites, and then go to a local jewellers or pawnbrokers and see if they're buying. You can look up current scrap gold prices and see how much of a cut they're taking- I used to buy and sell a bit of second hand gold in my teens once I worked out prices per gram. We used to have a jeweller come to our market who had the best rates in the area for buying scrap gold. You won't get the wholesale price, but you should get within one or two pounds. Make sure it's hallmarked before you take it, and don't bother with silver, as that's been consistently about 20p a gram for a while.

You are as well off to sell anything nice privately, or at an auction if it's weighty or especially nice stones. I hope that helps- at least look into that before sending it off anywhere, where it is then gone for good.
    Make £2024 in 2024- £352.54/£2024

41/200- bust my craft stash 2024! £10.80 spent
    211/200- bust my craft stash 2023!
  • Heather2012
    Heather2012 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks emsi_b I'll look into that!
  • Sassy1984
    Options
    I was sceptical about this business as I could not find reviews either but I decided to go for it. 
    I sent in a box full of bits and bobs, coins, jewellery, sunglasses no overall value really. It was 115 items mostly coins  and a couple of crystal ornaments and it weighed over 3kg.  It would have cost over £16 to send it to them so I'm glad it was paid for by them. 
    It was sent on Monday, delivered Tuesday and I got a call on Thursday. 
    I had mentally added things up and said to myself I would be happy with around £60, when the very nice man rang he offered me just over £100. I double checked the while contence of the box with him and he was happy to explain value with me.  I gave my details over the phone and the money was in my account before we hung up. 
    Overall I'm impressed, would I have liked more money of course I would but I'm glad I took the risk. 
    Hope this helps anyone thinking about using them. 
  • FastCar
    FastCar Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My advise would be to go to a couple of Jewelers first and get their opinion as most will buy gold etc - a lot of these companies who advertise on the radio will give you the bare minimum and bank on you not having a clue to its true value.  If you google some of these companies they look to be owned by the same organisation up in Leeds.  You could always put your goodies on ebay and see what interest you get - and you would have a very wide audience where often jewellery will be sold for more than these pre-paid opportunist companies will offer. 

A friend of mine was pretty much scammed out of selling stuff to Vintage Cash Cow - so beware.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I was sceptical about this business as I could not find reviews either but I decided to go for it. 
    I sent in a box full of bits and bobs, coins, jewellery, sunglasses no overall value really. It was 115 items mostly coins  and a couple of crystal ornaments and it weighed over 3kg.  It would have cost over £16 to send it to them so I'm glad it was paid for by them. 
    It was sent on Monday, delivered Tuesday and I got a call on Thursday. 
    I had mentally added things up and said to myself I would be happy with around £60, when the very nice man rang he offered me just over £100. I double checked the while contence of the box with him and he was happy to explain value with me.  I gave my details over the phone and the money was in my account before we hung up. 
    Overall I'm impressed, would I have liked more money of course I would but I'm glad I took the risk. 
    Hope this helps anyone thinking about using them. 
    This sounds great. I am going to give them a go for some old watches I have... I was literally going to take them to the dump so no risk test it seems!
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport