Fake M@S site

Options
LeMans2005
LeMans2005 Posts: 7 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 6 March at 10:28AM in Shop but don't drop
There's a scam email doing the rounds at the moment, purporting to link you to a M&S website at 

marksandspencers.sales-uk.com/

Looks real but the prices shown are far too good to be true (for example12 bottles of Rioja for £27.80 for all 12) and if you order anything from it the confirmation comes from leggingsoutletssell*UK on your bank statement. Like an idiot I ordered some wine, but as soon as the confirmation email arrived I was suspicious and found a lot of comments from people who had ordered books, clothing, wine etc.where the leggingsoutletssell*UK confirmation had arrived but no goods were ever received. I immediately called my bank who stopped the payment for me, the spokesman from the bank said they had quite a few customers who had the same problem with that seller!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Doesn't look real to me.
    Your link takes me to a website that shows lots of Greek-style leather sandals. I've seen these in Greek/Turkish markets.

If you look at the wording and grammar on the Shipping, Returns and About Us pages (always a good idea before parting with your money), it's clear that it's fake.

I guess this was a link that popped up on Facebook...
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 March at 10:29AM
    Options
    ©WWW.SALES-UK.COM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
    prices in Euro's...

Just look at the url of the site you are taken too....

www.sales-uk.com/

Life in the slow lane
  • Twinkle57
    Options
    I thought the offer of 6 bottles of Spanish "Porta" wine for £14.38 was almost too good to be true. I started to order via my phone, then realised I had less than a minute left to complete the transaction, so gave up and went onto my PC; I'm much quicker typing on there than I am on my phone! The M&S website had no such offers, which raised my suspicions even further. Then I googled "Marks & Spencer wine offer fraud" and it brought me to the MSE Forum. Thankfully I had not given any of my bank details so got off lightly, but I wonder how many people fell for the scam? It was very convincing.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Twinkle57 said:
    I thought the offer of 6 bottles of Spanish "Porta" wine for £14.38 was almost too good to be true. I started to order via my phone, then realised I had less than a minute left to complete the transaction, so gave up and went onto my PC; I'm much quicker typing on there than I am on my phone! The M&S website had no such offers, which raised my suspicions even further. Then I googled "Marks & Spencer wine offer fraud" and it brought me to the MSE Forum. Thankfully I had not given any of my bank details so got off lightly, but I wonder how many people fell for the scam? It was very convincing.
    It didn't look at all convincing to me.
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw it on Facebook and reported it. It did take a few minutes to check out but I’m clearly not as perspicacious as Pollycat.
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Pollycat
    edited 23 January at 8:39AM
    Options
    Perspicacity?
    I've not seen a reported scam on here yet that didn't look dodgy to me - with a little checking.
    A scam website is obviously not going to declare it's a scam on the home page so a little check is vital to avoid being scammed.

For some reason people assume that a link on Facebook or whatever social media site is genuine.
    I would approach it with the opposite idea.

• yummy-mummy-amy
    yummy-mummy-amy Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February at 5:35PM
    Options
    Not just m&S but pets at home, wines direct, mountain warehouse and sports direct all got the same scam going and link to a website called leggingsoutletsell which now doesnt exist

due to spilling coffee :coffee: on my keyboard it works when it wants to :rotfl:

member 1254 sealed pot 4
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure