Recently off a mortgage

Options
I am failing to find any information for my circumstances so hoping someone can help. 
I split with my husband and we were in the process of moving, he wanted the new house so I allowed it to go through and then I was to be removed from the mortgage. I have not lived in the house, paid anything towards it or made anything from it. I am off the mortgage now but it’s taken a long time.
I need to apply for bankruptcy but I don’t know if they will try to get money from his house as I only came off the mortgage recently. 
Grateful for any advice. Thank you 

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What happened to the money if any from the sale of the old house if there was one?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • jelopolo
    jelopolo Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We downsized and paid towards debts. I got 5k but I had nothing from the house and my rented house was a shell and needed everything. 
    I should have stopped the sale and sought advice but I just went along with what he wanted  but then I’ve had to chase to get my name off the mortgage and we don’t have a good relationship. I’m really worried that if I try to apply they will involve his house and it will cause big problems for me personally and affect the children. I’ve waited for him to sort the mortgage but my situation has got so much worse. 
    Thank you for responding.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    jelopolo said:
    I am failing to find any information for my circumstances so hoping someone can help. 
    I split with my husband and we were in the process of moving, he wanted the new house so I allowed it to go through and then I was to be removed from the mortgage. I have not lived in the house, paid anything towards it or made anything from it. I am off the mortgage now but it’s taken a long time.
    I need to apply for bankruptcy but I don’t know if they will try to get money from his house as I only came off the mortgage recently. 
    It'll certainly be looked at.

What's your situation that there's no option other than bankruptcy?
  • jelopolo
    First Post
    Options
    I have about 32k debt, defaults while I have been trying to hold off until o was off the mortgage, no savings, and around 30 pounds left after I have paid the priorities. If anything unexpected happens then I fall behind with this too. I dont expect anything to change for the better finance wise and this was the recommended option from stepchange but they couldn’t advise about whether the ex would be involved. It was a very messy split all round and I am scared to go ahead if they will involve him but I can’t see a way through this. 
    Thank you for your response.fatbelly said:
    jelopolo said:

fatbelly said:
    jelopolo said:

• fatbelly
    edited 14 January at 5:39AM
    Options
    Shame  you're 2k over the limit for a DRO.

How much equity is there in the house. The worst case is that they find your beneficial interest is half of that figure and give your ex the chance to buy that

Alternatively maybe someone could pay your debts down to 30k. Could be cheaper. 

I've just spotted your other thread. Let's reference it

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6442789/coming-off-mortgage-and-dro#latest
  • jelopolo
    First Post
    Options
    Am I allowed to message directly just I am worried about putting too much on here and there’s reasons I can’t have them contact my ex
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Yes. I think we generally encourage people to use the public forum. Wisdom of crowds and all that. You can pm me if you want
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback