Mortgage declined for financial association.

I've just had a mortgage application with Nationwide rejected due to a link to a financial associate with adverse credit.

I have never had joint credit with anyone else and have never defaulted. Nothing comes up on checkmyfile or with agencies directly under associates and aliases. 

When providing financial information, I disclosed that part of the deposit was a gift from my partner, who provided a letter saying that it was a gift. 

We've both run credit checks and nothing adverse has come up for either of us. We're both solvent and in full time employment.

My partners ex comes up as an associate from 2004 after they divorced in 2002. No credit checks have been conducted on my partner, soft or otherwise.

The lender and broker won't reveal any details of this mysterious link. 

I'm out of ideas of where to go next and my home is at risk as I'm trying to buy the one I'm currently renting. I've lived here for 15 years and the owners have decided to sell, giving me the opportunity of a private sale. 

Does anyone have experience of this or can offer advice on how I can resolve this situation? 

Comments

• penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,603
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Appeal or get your broker to apply elsewhere.

Do you have accounts with the 3 free CRAs? ClearScore, Credit Karma and MSE Credit Club
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,169
    Forumite
    Check Equifax, Experian and TransUnion those are the big ones. If it's not on one it maybe on another.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,137
    Forumite
    Check Equifax, Experian and TransUnion those are the big ones. If it's not on one it maybe on another.
    Since the OP has used Checkmyfile he should have all of those covered...

• MickB1969
    MickB1969 Posts: 7
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've checked all of the credit agencies individually and there's nothing untoward, no associates listed on any. That's why I'm at a loss. 
  • MickB1969
    MickB1969 Posts: 7
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Appeal or get your broker to apply elsewhere.

Do you have accounts with the 3 free CRAs? ClearScore, Credit Karma and MSE Credit Club
    My broker says he's reached out to the business development manager to see if there's route to appeal, but I don't hold much hope. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback