Help Needed - Received Debt Collection Notice for Unauthorized Phone Bill

Options
krippo
krippo Posts: 71 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Hello Community,

I hope someone can offer guidance or advice regarding a situation I'm currently facing. Recently, I received a debt collection notice from a company regarding an outstanding phone bill that seems to have been incurred by someone using my address, but not my name.

Here are the key details:

1. The bill is in a name similar to mine, but not exactly the same.
  2. The phone account was apparently opened by someone I don't know (possibly a scammer).
  3. The bill is for services I did not personally sign up for.

I'm unsure how to proceed and would appreciate any insights or recommendations from those who may have experienced something similar. Here are a few specific questions I have:

1. Contacting the Debt Collection Agency: Should I reach out to the debt collection agency directly to dispute the claim? Has anyone had success resolving a similar issue with them?

2. Contacting the Phone Company: Is it advisable to contact the phone company directly to explain the situation and request more information about the unauthorized account?

3. Documenting the Issue: What steps should I take to document and dispute this issue? Are there specific details or evidence I should gather to support my case?

4. Legal Implications: Are there any potential legal implications I should be aware of in a situation like this? Should I consider seeking legal advice?

Any insights or shared experiences would be immensely helpful. I want to ensure I handle this situation correctly and appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January at 6:50PM
    Options
    Possibly a mis-trace, these companies will often send out debt letters to anyone with a similar name hoping someone will bite.  Is there a timeline for the debt ? Have you checked your credit files to see if there is anything there ? If the bill is not in your name and you have no knowledge of the debt then ignore it, if there was a debt at your address you would have received communication about it prior to this.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Send the provit letter available from the stickies on the debt free wannabee board.

Anyone claiming you owe them money must provide evidence of your liability when asked.

See what the response is from that, and deal with it accordingly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • krippo
    Options
    Hello again! I sent an email to a debt collection agency asking them to validate the alleged debt they claim I owe. Today, I received a response that doesn't address my original email at all, but instead requests my personal information, including previous addresses, before they provide any further information. What are your thoughts on this? Is this a normal practice?
  • krippo
    Options
    molerat said:
    Possibly a mis-trace, these companies will often send out debt letters to anyone with a similar name hoping someone will bite.  Is there a timeline for the debt ? Have you checked your credit files to see if there is anything there ? If the bill is not in your name and you have no knowledge of the debt then ignore it, if there was a debt at your address you would have received communication about it prior to this.
    Therefore, it seems that someone opened an additional phone contract with O2 using my information. I reached out to O2 Customer Service, and they assured me that everything would be sorted out (though it seems it hasn't been). Now, this debt collection agency is contacting me, even though the details provided (with a completely different date of birth and a slightly similar surname) do not match mine.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback