Voluntary backdated NI payment class 2 disallowed prior to 11/04/2015 - why?

donglefan
donglefan Posts: 353
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 12 January at 4:13PM in Topping up your state pension
I asked the Revenue if I could pay back to 2013 at class 2 because I had self employment and low income back to 2013, but they have only permitted me to pay class 2 back to 11/04/2015.
I phoned to ask what happened on that date, as nothing changed on my side.  I didn't understand the reply - something about the way they collected something changed on that date, and that because I did not have a 'small earnings exemption' in place for those years, I could not now pay for them at class 2, only at class 3.  I said that in fact I had small earnings for the relevant years and this was not disputed, the problem was that I did not have the 'exemption' in place at the time.

May I check with the seasoned experts on MSE that this advice from HMRC accords with the law about being able to backdate Class 2 payments to 2006?   Is there any form of appeal it would be worth making in order to be able to pay class 2's for these years now?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 January at 4:43PM
    It seems what they are saying is that from 2015-16 class 2 became part of SA and the requirement to pay was worked out from that submission.  Prior to that you had to apply for a small earnings exception, nothing was due but you had to have a certificate confirming that - a bit like paying your £0 car tax each year, you still have to apply.  As you did not do that you are effectively late in paying (£0) - because you failed to apply to not pay it - so can no longer pay as it is outside the time frame for late payment so the only option is class 3.

• donglefan
    Forumite
    Thank you molerat.  
    I will attach the letter from HMRC below.  I think I should be able to pay the 15/16 year at class 2 in this case?

• squirrelpie
    squirrelpie Posts: 935
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You [presumably] don't have a small earning exception for the first few days of 2015-2016 and I expect HMRC are relying on that.
  • donglefan
    Forumite
    You [presumably] don't have a small earning exception for the first few days of 2015-2016 and I expect HMRC are relying on that.
    Thank you.  Is that relevant if I did not earn on those particular days?
  • german_keeper
    german_keeper Posts: 351
    Forumite
    donglefan said:
    The letter you have copied states that you don't have SEE for tax year 15/16. If that's the case I assume your earnings in the period from 6/4/15 to 11/4/15 are irrelevant.  
  • donglefan
    Forumite
    donglefan said:
    The letter you have copied states that you don't have SEE for tax year 15/16. If that's the case I assume your earnings in the period from 6/4/15 to 11/4/15 are irrelevant.  
    as i understand it (which is isn't fully), after the change in the rules, it wasn't necessary to have this 'exception' arrangement.
  • german_keeper
    german_keeper Posts: 351
    Forumite
    donglefan said:
    donglefan said:
    as i understand it (which is isn't fully), after the change in the rules, it wasn't necessary to have this 'exception' arrangement.
    I think I agree now. So if the rules changed on 11/4/15, 2014/2015 should be the last tax year affected by the SEE rules. If so the reference to 2015/2016 in the letter you received is incorrect.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback