Cut all credit cards up!!!! and more......

well after talking to you lovely people and getting your advice i have done the following....
rang egg and stopped the ppi on our loan......payments now gone from £232.97 a month to £197.53,nearly an extra £40 a month to throw at the debt :-)
tranferred all credit card debt onto a 0% one which is until november,in november it is our egg anniversary month so will tranfer back onto there for another 5 months,then get another 0% unless we get accepted for the capital one 18 months @ 0% for which i posted the leaflet back yesterday.....this frees up by my reakoning at least another £30 to chuck at debt.
have thoroughly searched old style and got all the tips i can use and recipies ready to do a menu planner.
have used the wonderful snowball calculater and inputted the £15,000 we owe the in laws too(0%interest and pay back as and when)and it comes out as roughly the same date as just the credit card and loan debt free date did before speaking to you wonderful lot.
and the biggest step of all for me............i cut up all the credit cards last night!!!! decided that this is it and we will do it this time so if we dont have the money we wont get it......no more buying things because they are on offer or greatly reduced which we were terrible for doing and putting on card,which of course means they arent as cheap as they seem!
so again a huge big thankyou to you all for getting me on the right track :T :T :beer: :beer: :T

Comments

• angela110660
    angela110660 Posts: 928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just read your post and wanted to congratulate you on everything you have arranged and achieved. We cut up credit cards a couple of years ago apart from one for emergencies which we leave in a box file for emergencies. The relief and the release of cutting up the cards was tremendous and having to rely on your monthly money for things is very levelling. Stick with it all and best wishes.
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i too have cut up my cards today....took a big deep breath and added up all i owe and i wasnt happy with the result so from now on im only spending cash!!! have done a budget (a realistic one this time!!) and worked out a plan for paying off what i owe.....wish me luck!!
    November NSD's - 7
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    i have unemployment and life PPI on my Egg loan is it worth having these then or should i ring them up and cancel them if there not worth the paper they are written on...................? :think:
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    James240 wrote:
    i have unemployment and life PPI on my Egg loan is it worth having these then or should i ring them up and cancel them if there not worth the paper they are written on...................? :think:

I would phone egg up asap and see it you can get the ppi taken off, thery really are a waste of both time and money!
    Vxx
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    thanks mummytofour will do that as soon as monday comes round x
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts