Fishy phone call about my solar

Options
I had a phone call today from a company that claimed to have "taken over monitoring your solar installation". I wasn't aware that there was any company providing monitoring, so that's the first thing that smells.
Apparently a fault has been reported by the monitoring, but I cant check it on my Solar Edge dashboard and they couldn't tell me how to verify that this was a genuine alert. That also smells.
They wanted to send an "engineer" to me tomorrow. That positively stinks.
Am I right to think that is this a scam or hard sell?

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scam. There is no monitoring unless you've paid for and arranged it.

Would be interesting to get them to turn up and see what happens if you're confident enough and can make sure they don't do anything that will break it
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scam 
    Had a similar call a few years ago at our old property 
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It's a scam.
    We get a couple of calls a month from bottom-feeding reptiles like this. I usually tell them that we don't have any solar panels and they must have faulty information :D
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • shandoli
    shandoli Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happened to me too. Typical solar scam trying to sell you panels or heat pumps. Avoid. You should google the number whenever you get these calls. The number that rang me has reports from other people saying they tried the same thing with them

https://whocall.co.uk/phone-number/01283707060

You should never give out any info on the phone regardless of how authentic it might seem. 
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If I was already at home, I'd let them come out and waste their time. Ask to see their monitoring report, and when they can't, send them packing.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any of those reactions designed to annoy them or waste their time could just be giving them more information about you that might be useful either just to get more marketing information or to add to the criminals' knowledge of you.
    It might seem rude but the best response is no response at all and terminate the call.
  • BossBob
    BossBob Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I point out to them I’m recording the call, that the number they have called is on the telephone preference list (both land line and mobile) and that I’ll be reporting them to the relevant authorities and then hang up and add the number to my phones denied list.
    8 x Jinko Tiger Neo 54c 415W, Huawei 3k L1 HV ph Hybrid inverter and 2 x 5kWh LUNA batteries on 15° roof facing SW on the southern edge of Bristol.
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    best  bet is to say hang on a min whilst i close the door and  just leave the phone down

• Oscarmax
    Oscarmax Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A friend on mine you to say what's in it for me, and would give them a taste of their own medicine till  hung up on him
    12 x 370 Watt J A panels Solis 3.6 invertor. Solax AC invertor and 5.8 triple battery
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Strangely enough I've just received one of those calls - with a witheld number - from "Immaculate Energy".
    Caller: "Is that Mr QrizB"?
    Me: "Yes?"
    Caller" Hello, it's Bob from Immaculate Energy. We spoke last year about your solar panels ..."
    Me: "If we spoke, it was just to ask you not to call me again."
    Caller: "OK" and he hung up :D

(He didn't call me QrizB, and he wasn't called Bob.)
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback