Feeling overwhelmed

Hello I recently applied for bankruptcy as I had several bank loans and credit card debt that I took out to pay for IVF. After numerous failed cycles it took a toll on my mental health and I had to reduce my hours and could no longer make the repayments. 
I have received a bankruptcy order and I am waiting for the official receiver to be in touch but I am struggling with what will happen in the future. 
I live with my partner and she tends to give me a set amount of money each money and I use this to pay the bills which are in my name. We are both on the tenancy agreement and council tax bill. My question is will the OR say that she will have to give me more each month and what happens if she is unable to pay any as some months she does not have the money due to her own debts? Her family live in Mexico and they have offered to let us live with them and work for them for a year and I am wondering if this may be a good idea so I can regroup and take some time away. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated 

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My question is will the OR say that she will have to give me more each month and what happens if she is unable to pay any as some months she does not have the money due to her own debts? 
    The OR cannot force your partner to pay anything.  The starting assumption for splitting the household costs will be 50/50.  However, if she has limited income there may be a legitimate reason why she contributes less.     
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback