Does a company vehicle have a value to wage?

I work as a service engineer and need a vehicle to do the job. My company allow a choice of car or van. Because I chose a car I pay BIC tax but I'm trying to work out my hourly rate, so is there a value I need to add for the car?

Hope that makes sense and someone can help :)

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,950
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pcpaul22 said:
    I work as a service engineer and need a vehicle to do the job. My company allow a choice of car or van. Because I chose a car I pay BIC tax but I'm trying to work out my hourly rate, so is there a value I need to add for the car?

Hope that makes sense and someone can help :)
    There's a good clear explanation here which should help: https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/guides/employee-company-car-tax-bik
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,069
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The BIC is based on the value of the vehicle, CO2 emission and your marginal tax rate. Its an annual charge so you will need to decide how you apportion it down to an hourly basis
  • pcpaul22
    pcpaul22 Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ok, so I clearly haven't explained properley.

I'm trying to work out my hourly rate (checking I'm not being paid less than minimum wage) by dividing my salary by the numbers of hours worked. My question is does the car affect the calculation?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,950
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pcpaul22 said:

I'm trying to work out my hourly rate (checking I'm not being paid less than minimum wage) by dividing my salary by the numbers of hours worked. My question is does the car affect the calculation?
    BIK such as a car aren't taken into account when calculating whether or not you are being paid the minimum wage.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,540
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your hourly rate will be as shown on, or calculated from, your pay slip.  The BIK value of the vehicle could be seen as, and is effectively taxed as, being additional pay.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,069
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pcpaul22 said:

No, its not a cash benefit and minimum wage is only based on cash... the one exception to this is accommodation 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback