Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give my old neighbour some money for the council tax refund he got us?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My former neighbour had always rented out his property. He put it up for sale, was left paying council tax on it for the first time and was adamant it was in the wrong band, so he submitted a big report and the band was reduced - for him, me and some other houses. We all got an £8,000 refund and £45 a month reduction, but the neighbour who appealed gained nothing as his property sold soon after. One of my neighbours gave him £200 as a thank you, but the others didn't give anything. Should I give him something?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How well do you still know this ex-neighbour? Do you still have contact?

If you don't have anything really to do with them then no, just let the relationship go. If you do then maybe look at something you can do together that you will fund as a thank you. Maybe a meal out or similar.
  • bevs316
    bevs316 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The people who paid council tax at his property (tenants) will get their share of the refund.  It didn't cost him anything other than a few minutes online to make the application. He runs the property as a business and the lower tax band would have been a selling point. You all had refunds. Everyone has won so no obligation to '"reward" him unless you want to. You obviously don't as you're asking and  that's fine. Enjoy your windfall.
    2702 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do not have to but it is nice to be nice.He did do some work and you have benefited so a small thank you would be good.
  • IvonH
    IvonH Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You don't owe your neighbour anything.  The real question is whether you will feel good not making a gesture.  The money you got was an unexpected windfall and you are continuing to save every month for as long as you continue to live in this house.  And if you ever sell, you can advertise it at the lower council tax band - quite a few people look at that if there are several houses they might be interested in.  So, if you were to make a gesture, how many months would it take to get that money back through the cheaper council tax?  Not many, I bet. 
    As I say, you don't owe him anything, but the fact you asked the question shows you feel a bit uneasy about not showing your gratitude.  I know I would.
  • Middle_Sister
    Middle_Sister Posts: 548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He did it to try and benefit himself. I think they’d just be happy in the knowledge you were helped along the way. 
  • Rd1994
    Rd1994 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I’d probably get him a very small
    gift and thank you card like a bottle of wine or chocolates. But I’m sure he wouldn’t expect it and you definitely don’t need to it was his choice to do this. Also just saying thank you is enough :) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback