Martin Lewis: In 2023 I averaged 25,142 steps, (burning 3,917 calories) a day, here’s how…

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2024/01/-martin-lewis--in-2023-i-averaged-25-142-steps---burning-3-917-c/

Comments

• kitw32
    kitw32 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello!

It was only yesterday that I bored my family with statistics of the miles/steps I had completed last year and how it was equivalent to me walking to the North Pole etc.  Their eyes glazed over as they expect this update around this time every year! So, I laughed when I read your blog today about your steps for 2023.  It was as if I had written it.  I felt your pain when you were too ill to walk.  Christmas Day 2022’s roast dinner left me with terrible stomach pains and I had to go to bed. However, at 7pm, I dragged myself out of bed, put a coat on over my pyjamas and said to my husband, “come on! We’re walking round the block. I’ve got to get my steps for the day!”  And I did! Clutching my stomach in pain!  Getting up at the crack of dawn before a long haul flight, in order to get my steps in, goes without saying (more eye rolls from the rest of the family) and before getting on a flight I will generally walk up and down the departure lounge several times. 

My steps for 2023 were 10,866,247 (down on 2022), but I am a Personal Trainer, so am out and about a lot, come rain or shine. I’m impressed with your steps, given the nature of your job and schedule. Impressive!

I listen to podcasts, call family and friends and plan my day whilst pounding the streets or the treadmill.

Good luck for 2024!
    Kind regards, 
    Kit
  • Rozzie101
    Options
    10,566,225 for the year - not sure how accurate as fitbit is on my drinking arm ;-). I've got a desk job so tend to sit for 8 hours a day minimum during the week but don't drive and do the odd long distance slow walk (aka ultra marathons) which helps up the annual step figure.
  • mikeyhinde
    mikeyhinde Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of interest, has it been noted through the MSE updates what the best tracker is deemed to be for counting steps?

I only rely on the Fit app on my android phone, which I know is going to way out on totals and obviously misses all the times I might be wandering about without it.

Immense getting such huge numbers out on such a consistent basis. I get earache from the impact of just trying to make sure I pass the 10,000 figure as many days as I can, with the time that gets spent achieving that!
  • FLUFFYX
    FLUFFYX Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a dog you can log your walks and earn money! If you download the Biscuit app and track your walks together then you earn biscuits which you can convert to money off dog related offers or retail vouchers. I've only been doing it since mid December and have already received a £10 Tesco voucher which was sent instantly after ordering it! You're welcome!
  • Ash_Pole
    Ash_Pole Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Out of interest, has it been noted through the MSE updates what the best tracker is deemed to be for counting steps?

I came here to ask the same question. What app does Martin use?
  • Luke273
    Luke273 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ash_Pole said:

He'll almost certainly be using a fitness watch, as they will track more accurately than an app through a phone, so likely either Fitbit, Garmin or Apple Watch.

And they give out far more personal data beyond steps, such as HR, sleep, fitness/activity data, etc.
  • ChooseLife
    ChooseLife Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    Options
    FLUFFYX said:
    If you have a dog you can log your walks and earn money! If you download the Biscuit app and track your walks together then you earn biscuits which you can convert to money off dog related offers or retail vouchers. I've only been doing it since mid December and have already received a £10 Tesco voucher which was sent instantly after ordering it! You're welcome!
    Thanks for sharing this info
  • areader
    areader Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ash_Pole said:

The screenshot in the blog post is from the Fitbit app.
  • Tarnmonath
    Options
    My average is increased by a couple of months on the Camino de Santiago. I've not done under 10,000 paces in a day for 1030 days, or since I was recovering from a knee replacement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback