To pay off or wait for 6years to up?

Circumstance have improved in the last 5years, I’ve not taken out any new debt and in the last 5years, all my bills are paid and planned, In the last couple of years I’ve actually been able to start saving a little. I can see a future. 

I’ve applied for all of my credit files, wanting to see what I need to pay off and deal with. Maybe one of these days I can have a good credit rating. Looking at the credit files lots of the debts have disappeared, then reading up I see after six years they fall off your credit file. Do I only need to deal with JUST what’s on my credit file? 

Comments

• newgem
    newgem Posts: 2
    First Post
    My heading makes no sense sorry 
  • Chemtrails
    Chemtrails Posts: 24
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi newgem

have you looked at the Debt Free Wannabe main forum? Some threads and stickies related to legalities.

I wouldn’t bother with any debts that have fell off, I think legally they are statute barred.

Are all the debts that remain on your file defaults? I defaulted on most of my debts about 4 years ago and have only attempted to pay back £15 a month to Lowell as they now own 3 of my debts as I heard they are litigious, don’t know if this is true or not but it’s only £15 a month. Once those drop off I will probably stop paying it.

I have ignored all the other defaults and will do so unless there is a real threat of a CCG. 

In your shoes I would keep building up savings. What is your motivation to pay these debts back (if already defaulted)?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback