Slightly confused - port a mortgage

If im selling my house for £360k with a (portable) mortgage of £150k, and am buying a £700k
house then do i need to raise a new mortgage for: £190k (ie. use £360k as deposit, port the £150k leaving 190k additional borrowing)
OR would it be a new mortgage for: £340k ( £210k deposit, port the £150k leaving £340 additional borrowing)

Comments

• Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,426
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If im selling my house for £360k with a (portable) mortgage of £150k, and am buying a £700k
    house then do i need to raise a new mortgage for: £190k (ie. use £360k as deposit, port the £150k leaving 190k additional borrowing)
    OR would it be a new mortgage for: £340k ( £210k deposit, port the £150k leaving £340 additional borrowing)

You have £210k of equity

house price £700k
    equitt £210k
    ported mortgage £150k

balance to fund via additional borrowing from existing lender £340k

new mortgage value = £490k which will be subject to full affordability

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    £700k purchase price
    - £210k equity (from the sale of your property),
    - £150k mortgage you already have.

Means you need to find/apply for £340k

Your total mortgage on completion (assuming you are applying for the £340k) is £490k.

Obviously just using rounded figures, they do not take into account stamp duty, solicitors, agents fees etc. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • KerrBearrxo
    KerrBearrxo Posts: 49
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Keep in mind that when you port a mortgage, you are stuck with that lender until you get both mortgages to expire at the same time.

For example, you have a Fixed Term Mortgage that ends in 2025 for 100k on your old house
    You start a new Fix Term Mortgage that ends in 2026 for the extra amount you need for the new house, lets say its 100k

You now have 2 products with the lender (2 mortgages essentially) and you will have to put the one that ends in 2025 on a 1 year or a tracker to marry up so it expires or is ready to renew with the 2026 one, otherwise, you are stuck with that lender and unable to shop around.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback