Etsy or EBay?

Options
I am thinking of trying to generate additional income by selling my makes on either EBay or Etsy - what would others recommend? I currently make wax melts and dog bandanas and hair scrunchies and would love to hear from anyone who is currently selling their makes - thank you!
VCC - £18,547.36
BCC - £6,161.51
ACC - £2,914.67
Loan 1 - £829.71
Loan 2 - £3,256.16
Very - £681.99
Next - £2,570.35
#19 - pay off debt by Christmas - £2,427.35/£10,000
#62 save 365 day 1p challenge - £38.20

Comments

• XzavierWalnut
    XzavierWalnut Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I sell on both and the charges are roughly the same. Main difference is Etsy charge $0.20 per listing which lasts for 3 months. I sell approximately 40 items on Etsy and 230 on Ebay. I get a lot of likes on Etsy but only had 16 sales in 2023 whereas over 100 on Ebay.
    Etsy only allow 9 pictures which is probably enough.
    With both of them it takes time to build up positive feedback which helps to make future sales.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am thinking of trying to generate additional income by selling my makes on either EBay or Etsy - what would others recommend? I currently make wax melts and dog bandanas and hair scrunchies and would love to hear from anyone who is currently selling their makes - thank you!
    Any reason not to list on both?

Our experience is from several years ago and Etsy feels to have changed since then... even their adverts now focus on being able to buy cheap things rather than handmade or other more positive things. When we were selling we advertised on both but had much more success on Etsy once having gotten over the hurdle of those first dozen sales. The one downside was that once we'd started making sales (crocheted items using locally sourced natural yarns etc) you'd quickly see others copy the design but in synthetic materials selling at a 1/4 the price. 

Etsy used to have people that would pay a premium for handmade, made in the UK, organic materials etc and so sales were inevitably impacted but still made a reasonable number a month. eBay always seemed more focused on the price and as soon as a design was copied the few sales we had been getting would almost instantly stop. 

Our problem was that as the sales grew so did the number of enquiries, trips to the post office etc and there was no economies of scale. Making as a hobby was very different to being a 1 person production line and if you were to really sit down and work out the total cost of each sale and the amount of hours put in you'd be lucky to be earning a couple of pounds an hour. Did consider going "exclusive", making only in spare time and selling 2-3 items a month at triple the price so you actually maybe made minimum wage but it decided against it so closed it down. 
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a buyer of various things, I don't think I've ever found what I wanted on etsy.
    (That said, I wouldn't be in the market for those particular items anyway.)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I sell on both and the charges are roughly the same. Main difference is Etsy charge $0.20 per listing which lasts for 3 months. I sell approximately 40 items on Etsy and 230 on Ebay. I get a lot of likes on Etsy but only had 16 sales in 2023 whereas over 100 on Ebay.
    Etsy only allow 9 pictures which is probably enough.
    With both of them it takes time to build up positive feedback which helps to make future sales.
    When selling as a business, which anyone making to sell is, then eBay charge 25p a listing and that lasts for 30 days. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback