Moving on

Options
Cherryfudge
Cherryfudge Posts: 10,052 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 1 January at 1:23AM in Debt free diaries
Welcome to my new thread: my old one is here: Cherry takes the reins — MoneySavingExpert Forum and my very old one is here: Coffee and chocolate — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Quite a lot changed in 2023, and now it's time to move on. I left the job and career path I'd followed for many years and don't feel I can or should go back to those pressures. At the same time I'm still grieving for it. I'd expected to retire from that in a few years' time, then go back to do relief hours. Instead, I now have a relief contract in something else, which at the moment is my only income.

During the last year, I've also discovered it's very likely I'm autistic with ADHD. That's quite a relief to know as it makes sense of a lot of my experience and gives me warning of areas I'm likely to find difficult. It's a big adjustment, though, including the awareness that I would be likely to find certain work and social situations pressured and am therefore choosing not to immerse myself in them,

DH works part time, a not-dissimilar story to mine really. He was too stressed to continue the job he'd done most of his adult life, and is enjoying what he does now, where the hours are shorter and the pressures less.

I inherited money a few years ago and was hoping to leave it untouched for my retirement, but I've used a little to replace my laptop recently, and help towards Christmas. The plan for this year is to take a six month course in digital skills to give me more choice of work and skills I can use outside of work too. I also intend to take an introductory course in proofreading, as it's something I've considered on and off for ages and if I don't test the waters, I won't know if I can do it.

The idea behind this new diary is to trace the progress I make in general and for me to track finances and minimise outgoings, at least till I'm earning properly again.
I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22

Comments

• weenancyinAmerica
    weenancyinAmerica Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Year Cherryfudge. Looking forward to your new diary.

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,301 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy new year and happy new diary 🙂
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • zedonk
    zedonk Posts: 65 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy new year! I'm also autistic, most likely with ADHD too, and I can very much relate to the struggle with some work and social situations. Best of luck in your new ventures. 
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    A new diary, how nice.  Maybe it’ll help draw a line more conclusively under last year.  Onwards and upwards.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Happy new year & shiny new diary, looking forward to reading your progress.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Charlotte_88_24
    Options
    Happy new year, looking forward to hearing your journey 😊
    Total debt remaining £15,664.21
  • 24ta
    24ta Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year and happy new diary :)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year Cherry! 

The proofreading course sounds interesting. Is it computer based or paper? 
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,052 Forumite
    Options
    And happy new year to you too, @Honeysucklelou2!

The course is online, but it's virtual learning so I have to be available at the the right time - which is now available to book but finishes as I'm due to start an interview for a relief cleaner post! So now I've to see if I can move my interview... nothing's simple, is it?!

We have another rainy day here today and I've made a bit of progress with tasks while DH is out with various errands. We caught a mouse in the humane trap last night so he's taken it out to a field and I'll reset the trap as I'm sure it will have a friend somewhere.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport