PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to heat shop bought Christmas pudding in slow cooker

Options
I'm hoping to heat our shop bought Christmas pudding in the slow cooker tomorrow, to free up hob space for other things. 

For those that regularly heat shop bought Christmas puddings in the slow cooker, how long do you heat them for, and on what setting (low, medium or high)?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can't answer the slow cooker, but is there not a microwave option if only heating and not cooking it?
    The ones I've seen are only require a few minutes nuked

Of course no help if you do not have microwave
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • always_ot
    Options
    Farway said:
    Can't answer the slow cooker, but is there not a microwave option if only heating and not cooking it?

Microwave is last resort, but I'd prefer not to as I think it dries them out a bit. 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    always_ot said:
    Farway said:

Microwave is last resort, but I'd prefer not to as I think it dries them out a bit. 
    Shouldn’t dry them out, but just in case add an extra slug of brandy to it before serving 🥃😋
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Only minutes in the microwave

when I googled this is what I found:
    To reheat on the day: Preheat the slow cooker for 20 minutes, put the pudding in and pour enough water to come to three-quarters of the way up the sides of the pudding basin. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours (subtract 1 hour for the smaller pudding and add 1 hour for the larger pudding – you will smell the scent of delicious Christmas pudding when it is ready). She is cooking a 1 pint - smaller or a 2 pint - larger

& this from Good Food:
    On the day you’re ready to serve, return the pudding to the slow cooker set to low, and fill with water as before. Reheat for 4 hrs, then turn out onto a serving plate. Warm some triple sec in a small pan over a low heat, drizzle this over the pudding and carefully set alight. Serve with brandy butter or custard.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 December 2023 at 2:30PM
    Options
    We always zap ours in the microwave nowadays. Once you’ve poured brandy on it and set it on fire and then covered it with brandy sauce no-one really notices if it’s a little dryer or not.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have always microwaved but in individual portions.  As long as you keep the time as low as possible to still heat completely then it has so far never dried it out.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We portion and microwave. Way easier than boiling in a slow cooker for four hours, and must be miles cheaper. Never had a problem with them being dry. Just stick a portion in for 30 seconds, check temp and add a bit more time as necessary. After the first portion, it's easy peasy.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure