Can someone advise me please on exam invigilation/reader work?

Options
Hi, 
I'm a carer for my disabled child he is now in a Sen school and I need to try and get just a little extra. I already get carers allowance. But due to having to take him to and from school (he can't cope with school private transfer)  I'm not sure what hours id be needed for invigilation. I do have experience as a school reader volunteer hence why I'm particularly interested in reader/scribing. Do schools hire for these roles do you know? I'd only be looking for about £60 extra a month I've come down to trying this or survey's what would be best for you think? Thank you. 

Comments

• ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Invigilation is reasonably well paid but is very seasonal - usually only needed in the summer (May/June/July in England, earlier in Scotland). Possibly also when mock exams are done but schools usually organise and staff  these themselves. I've done it for a couple of years, earning a few hundred pounds over the course of the exam season. So it is worth doing but you would need to do something else the rest of the year.

Surveys are more consistent all the year round but don't earn an awful lot. Prolific Academic is probably the best, certainly worth signing up to, though there may be a waiting list. The quality of the surveys is good, there are minimum pay requirements, and once you've started a survey you shouldn't get screened out.
  • lukeowen
    Options
    If you have a direct contact at a school, you can sometimes get in that way.

Otherwise just sign up with an Agency and say that's what you're looking for.

They usually only want people for a couple of hours a day, and as El said, only during exam seasons.

For readers/scribing I think schools are more likely to use their existing teaching assistants, so those roles might be harder to get.

Also, have you considered applying for jobs at your son's school.  As a teaching assistant your hours would probably align nicely with his and you wouldn't have any commute.
  • MartaUK
    MartaUK Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I worked as exam invigilator for universitites. The work is seasonal, with the most exams being around May, and then I usually had two exams a day. The morning session is 9am start, put out papers, exam start at 9:30 till max 1 pm to collect all papers etc. Next session exam start 2 pm and would last max till 5 pm, usually only 1.5-2 hours exam. When you get invited to training you can then specify your avaiability days/hours. Work is very easy, just need to watch the students and walk with them to the toilet. Pay about £11 an hour.
    I do surveys/games on swagbucks and these are also worth doing if you have the time, but considerably less profitable than a real job.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback