Economy 7..huge rise in cost

Options
If we are being encouraged to use off peak electricity , how come night units now cost approx 50% of day time units on E7, where 2 yrs ago night units were approx 30% of the cost of day units. My supplier has just increased my night unit rate from !st Jan 2024 by 18%...obv they don't want us to use off peak to heat our dwellings, strangely  its approx 50% cheaper per unit if you use a night tariff to charge your vehicle.....

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm sorry - you are not very clear.

Are you saying the night rate is 50% ( of half the price ) of the day rate now, and before it was 30% ( therefore  two thirds cheaper? ).

Rates are all to do with generation costs anyway - so I would guess the more people who use off-peak the higher the rate will go.

• Veteransaver
    Options
    Hi, what supplier is this, I've heard one supplier has vastly increased the E7 rates. Could you try a different supplier? 
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I have seen this creep, but not as markedly, with my Octopus bills. Last winter Night rates were 38% of Daytime, now 45%. It makes a difference to me as around 50% of usage is at night, at the moment.
    Prior to that I was bouncing between SoLR tariffs where the night-time discount was minimal (79% of daytime in one case) but that might have suited my usage at that time.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Almost certainly EDF, who had some extreamly cheap night rates in some regions but will be coming more into line with other suppliers come January. There are several threads on this over on the energy board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback