Stay fresh longer bags

Options
Please any tips how to keep vegs bought over Xmas fresh? Bought 5 bags if potatoes and left in garage but not sure about carrots as they do not last long, bought only a couple. I heard about the stay fresh bags and wonder whether it is worth buying? Thanks

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,916 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stay fresh bags don’t work in my opinion. Carrots should last weeks in your veg drawer in the fridge 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cloth bags are better they let some air in dont store spuds with onions.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 December 2023 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Also carrots keep well in water in the fridge change the water daily.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,570 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The stay fresh bags do work but the produce needs to be dry.

I would take the carrots out of their plastic bags for starters! otherwise they sweat.

carrots certainly don't last for weeks in my salad drawer (whereas apples & citrus do) They either get wizened or they go slimy!!  I shall probably freeze some. 
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 December 2023 at 4:21PM
    Options

I would take the carrots out of their plastic bags for starters! otherwise they sweat.

carrots certainly don't last for weeks in my salad drawer (whereas apples & citrus do) They either get wizened or they go slimy!!  I shall probably freeze some. 
    If you keep apples with veg that would be the reason the veg doesn't last as long, it's the ethylene the apples emit.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,570 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

If you keep apples with veg that would be the reason the veg doesn't last as long, it's the ethylene the apples emit.
    The fruit is in one drawer & the veggies in the other .  They are not together
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    cherry76 said:
    Please any tips how to keep vegs bought over Xmas fresh? Bought 5 bags if potatoes and left in garage but not sure about carrots as they do not last long, bought only a couple. I heard about the stay fresh bags and wonder whether it is worth buying? Thanks
    Another vote for "freeze them" here. Even garden-home-grown veg has a limit on being stored in cool/fridge etc. so with carrots/parsnips I wash/peel/slice and bag them. They'll last months.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback