PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any coffee grinder recommendations?

Options
Looking for an electric coffee grinder for the kitchen which could also mill the occasional batch of herbs/spices.

Can anyone suggest from experience a reasonably priced model which hasn't packed up just after the warranty expiry?

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't use the same grinder for coffee and spices as the spices would taint your coffee.

For coffee we use this one:  

De'Longhi, Coffee grinder KG79, Black

It's currently £39.99 on Amazon which is apparently an offer price but the same as we paid about 4 years ago!

For herbs and spices I have a Bamix stick blender with grinder.  I actually have an old grinder which was bought separately which I use for spices and my Bamix came with another grinder which I use for nuts and herbs.  Not cheap - about £200 but lasts for years.  My first one lasted about 25 years and I've had this one about 4 years.

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We got a Braun coffee grinder when we got married 37 years ago. I too have a Bamix, they are fabulous. 

[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a Shardor grinder and would recommend
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 December 2023 at 1:18PM
    Options
    For spices I stick with manual methods: 

RSVP International 8014 Mortar and Pestle Stoneware Green Marble   Amazoncouk Home  Kitchen

No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My brother who likes coffee and also likes to share his opinions whether we ask or not 😀 bought my dad the delonghi as mentioned previously.
    It's safe to say he will have researched it for a good time before buying.
    My dad is very pleased with it.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking for an electric coffee grinder for the kitchen which could also mill the occasional batch of herbs/spices.

Can anyone suggest from experience a reasonably priced model which hasn't packed up just after the warranty expiry?
    If you want truly consistent grind for coffee, as you should, then you really have to go for the type where the beans go in the top and come our the bottom. The more basic type where you put the beans in a mini blender and just hold it for a length of time relative to the grind level you want will never get brilliant results. 

That type of grinder is difficult to clean the grinding parts and so really wouldn't but suitable for spices. For spices we have a Wahl/James Martin  thing that cost £15 and still going fine after 5 years of light use. Lid is difficult to clean well but it lives in a cupboard and we tend to use it for similar enough spices that not overly concerned about contamination. 
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just had a thought, you might get a second hand one on Market place or ebay. With the advent of fancy coffee machines there may be people clearing them out.   

We just replaced our breadmachine that way. I wanted exactly the same brand and model. We have had it a long time and been pleased with it, had bought a new mixing blade, didn't buy a new pan as very expensive.  So got one off Marketplace for a good price, so now have a back up pan as well.   It was just about pristine. I reckon it can't have been used more than once!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Longwalker
    Options
    For spices I usually use a pestle and mortar but for really woody ones I have a cheap grinder I picked up middle aisle in lidl. 

for my coffee I have a sage bcg600.html - I never paid that for it, got it on Prime Day for £40. For coffee you do need a burr grinder 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback