Promotion in the same year as pay award.

I wounder if anyone can help me.

I've been promoted to senior level within my team which came with a pay rise because of the extra responsibility, tasks and deputising for my boss. It happens to be in the same year the whole company has been negotiating a pay award back dated to April 1st.

I'm now being told i'm not having the pay award because it's "comapny policy"  not give two pay awards in the same year to me. I've never heard of this "company policy" nor agreed to it and there is nothing in my contract about it.

What are my options because this is so unfair, i'm owed in excess of 2K on my previous salary and around 1k in my new salary. The pay award from April 1st has only been agreed last week, everyone is getting back dated pay except me. My pay increase with promotion DID NOT take into account the pending pay award.

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,651
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It’s often standard in an organisation to not award two payrises in a set period eg within a year. Really when they gave you the payrise for your promotion they should have taken account of the fact a company payrise was being negotiated and included this as part of your salary increase. 

Legally don’t think you’ve got any grounds on this. There is no legal right to receive a payrise so it wouldn’t be in your contract. 
  • Marky4040 said:
    I wounder if anyone can help me.

I've been promoted to senior level within my team which came with a pay rise because of the extra responsibility, tasks and deputising for my boss. It happens to be in the same year the whole company has been negotiating a pay award back dated to April 1st.

I'm now being told i'm not having the pay award because it's "comapny policy"  not give two pay awards in the same year to me. I've never heard of this "company policy" nor agreed to it and there is nothing in my contract about it.

What are my options because this is so unfair, i'm owed in excess of 2K on my previous salary and around 1k in my new salary. The pay award from April 1st has only been agreed last week, everyone is getting back dated pay except me. My pay increase with promotion DID NOT take into account the pending pay award.

None! (Apart from asking nicely, negotiation or leaving!!)

There is no legal right to a pay rise ever, unless you pay falls below the national minimum wage. There might be a contractual agreement, depending on a careful reading of your contract, but to be honest that is unlikely to be absolute and would most probably be worded as discretionary / usually / generally etc.

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,566
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Agree there is no legal right to a pay award but if the backdated pay award was greater than the promotion award I would at least argue for the backdated pay award. And then discuss whether I would have accepted the promotion without done sort of financial benefit. 
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,124
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 December 2023 at 10:00AM
    GrumpyDil said:
    Agree there is no legal right to a pay award but if the backdated pay award was greater than the promotion award I would at least argue for the backdated pay award. And then discuss whether I would have accepted the promotion without done sort of financial benefit. 
    This is what I'd do. Work out what you would have been paid in the year from April 1 if you'd stayed on old job with backdated award increase, and then what you'll actually have been paid come next April with the old job with no backdated award and the new job.

If the latter is less, then put that to management. I'd actually argue the latter should greater by a pro-rata amount, but its a starting point.

Actual £ values for old job, backdated award and new job would help people determine to what extent you've been shafted.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,322
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nowt to add except congrats on the promotion!  Hope it all works out to your advantage.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback