Urgent action needed to stop lenders bombarding people who've missed payments, say Martin + charity

Options
MSE_Molly_G
MSE_Molly_G Posts: 85 MSE Staff
First Post Name Dropper
edited 14 December 2023 at 11:13AM in Loans
Charity the Money and Mental Health Policy Institute (MMHPI) and its chair, founder and core funder Martin Lewis are calling for the Government to make changes to prevent firms causing unnecessary distress to those already under strain.

Read the full story:

Urgent action needed to stop lenders bombarding people who've missed payments, say Martin Lewis

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• diinozzo
    Options
    ML has out used his usefulness. Smoke and mirrors.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe it would be better if they bombard people with phone calls and home visits instead.....
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,597 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 December 2023 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Isn't this on the wrong board? 

Edited to add, it's been moved. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 December 2023 at 11:14AM
    Options
    By not bombarding those people it leaves the door even wider open for those that lament "i didn't get any letters/emails/texts/calls".
    If you've had the money - you must pay it back - and in a timely manner.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,894 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 December 2023 at 7:26PM
    Options
    I think the idea behind this is to stop the frequency of unnecessary collection activity, not all collection activity.

Hounding someone for payment on a twice daily basis is more likely to draw a negative reaction than a positive one.

Basically its counter productive to be so aggressive in your approach, generally speaking, you are paid usually only once a month, and normally at or near month end, so one monthly reminder letter or call would be acceptable.

The issue is lenders/debt collectors go way too far, and initiate computer automated dialling, every day, or twice a day in some cases, and letters demanding payment on a weekly basis.

They can`t pay what they don`t have, its simple maths.

Now when your struggling through a cost of living crisis, and your mental health isn`t great, this can drive people up the wall, especially as most only have the one opportunity a month to pay, having to explain that multiple times to multiple call handlers, on a daily basis, just gets debilitating.

The breathing space scheme isn`t fit for purpose, as its only for 60 days, which when your deep in debt, is nothing, the debt collection process is fundamentally biased towards debtors who may only have missed one or two payments, and may owe less than 5k and are usually those in society that can least afford to catch up.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback