PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

3 medium whole chickens for £10 at Morrisons or large chicken breasts for £6.50?

Options
williewonder
williewonder Posts: 360 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 11 December 2023 at 11:16AM in Old style MoneySaving
I can make 9 meals? out the whole chickens where as the breasts I could perhaps make 3? I can freeze the chickens. What cheap meals can I make out the whole chickens? I’m going to make roast chicken on Christmas Day, I have some sweet and sour jared sauce and have it with rice, thats 3 meals. I ordered the 3 chickens in my food delivery for Thursday.

I've had this chicken before from Morrisons and it's actually nice chicken. I got 3 meals out of one chicken.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can make 9 meals? out the whole chickens where as the breasts I could perhaps make 3? I can freeze the chickens. What cheap meals can I make out the whole chickens? I’m going to make roast chicken on Christmas Day, I have some sweet and sour jared sauce and have it with rice, thats 3 meals. I ordered the 3 chickens in my food delivery for Thursday.

I've had this chicken before from Morrisons and it's actually nice chicken. I got 3 meals out of one chicken.
    Pmd the team to move to the old style board when online tomorrow. 

But to answer your question. 

Curry, Soup, Casserole, stroganoff, pies, coronation, biryani, sandwiches, salads ……
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alongside sweet and sour chicken

Chicken and mushroom pasta
    Pasta bake with chicken peppers onions
    Chicken and ham/leek pie
    Chicken soup
    Any chicken and rice combo 
    Chicken in Parmasan breadcrumbs 
    Chicken and chips
    Stuffed chicken breasts 
    Garlic chicken on Mediterranean veg
    Lemon chicken and orzo (really yummy)
    Hunters chicken (bbq sauce and cheese)
    Gnocchi is a good bulk with chicken 
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 December 2023 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Alongside sweet and sour chicken

Chicken and mushroom pasta
    Pasta bake with chicken peppers onions
    Chicken and ham/leek pie
    Chicken soup
    Any chicken and rice combo 
    Chicken in Parmasan breadcrumbs 
    Chicken and chips
    Stuffed chicken breasts 
    Garlic chicken on Mediterranean veg
    Lemon chicken and orzo (really yummy)
    Hunters chicken (bbq sauce and cheese)
    Gnocchi is a good bulk with chicken 
    Thanks, that’s very useful.    

I volunteer at a Food Share food bank on a Saturday morning.  Most of the food is donated by supermarkets and occasionally local butchers.  Yesterday a local butcher donated 28 frozen chickens :) and as we didn’t have enough regular customers (you have to sign on before getting food and they check ID) to hand out all the chickens I took 3 home. I live in sheltered housing, 33 residents, it’s independent living so they have their own flats and a huge communal lounge with its own kitchen.  I put the chickens in the communal freezer for future meals together, we’re having a party next week so I’m making Coronation chicken. 

We’ve been promised more chickens for the next 2 weeks.  

We had tons of rice yesterday so “any chicken and rice combo” will be useful.  

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 December 2023 at 3:05PM
    Options
    Don't forget you can joint a chicken fairly easily- or at least remove the legs & thighs which might make it easier to freeze  if yours is already full!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Also, Coq au Vin is traditionally made with drumsticks & thighs, simmered slowly to release the goodness from the bones etc. as well as the meat; a natural for the slow-cooker! Harder to eat - though if we have, say, my 97 y.o. mother or 2 y.o. grandson with us, I'll de-bone it before serving - but very delicious!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I tend to make 4 meals from a small chicken if roasted whole and then stock/soup from the bones, if you don't mind the same meal twice of often make enough vegetables and gravy to plate up a second roast meal and reheat a couple of days later

Risotto - if you don't want to stand over and stir this one is good - I amend to swap the seafood / fennel out with chicken or what i have available  Seafood risotto recipe | BBC Good Food
    Chicken biryani 
    sweet n sour chicken with rice
    Fried rice with chicken and vegetables
    chicken and mushroom / spinach lasagna or cannelloni 
    quesadillas or add as a pizza topping 
    The Hairy Bikers do a chicken and ham pie using filo pasty or you could use the filling with mash potato on top rather than pasty 
    There are lots of salad recipes for LO chicken I add chicken to this Moroccan Carrot and Lentil Salad (Vegan, GF) | Crowded Kitchen  

All recipes tend to get tweaked to suit what ingredients I have 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    9 or so.
    Roast - cold with veg - cold with veg - cold with veg - Caribbean chicken x2 (very easy warm with rice) - soup x 2.
    Not a fan of soup but it's very healthy if boiled from the bones.

Caribbean chicken - spring onion, tomato, mushrooms, sweetcorn, tinned pineapple, chicken mixed with mayonnaise and curry powder. 
    Serve with pasta, coated with olive oil, garlic puree, black pepper.
    I dilute the mayonnaise with 50% yoghurt to reduce calories and make it easier to coat the whole.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 December 2023 at 8:01AM
    Options
    Not entirely sure what weight your chickens are but a decent sized roasted one used to do 3 full meals for 4 people and a soup, in less imaginative times. 

Roast with potatoes, yorkies and veg, a wing or drumstick plus a little breast meat each.
    Breast meat with baked potatoes and salad or veggies 
    Thighs and any left over breast meat in curry or in white sauce, with rice. These days I'd also consider adding to pasta sauce or making Jambalaya
    Bones simmered whilst eating dinner and picked over. Then made into chicken soup.

These days, I'd make a white or tomato sauce and add the breast meat and serve with the jacket potatoes.
    The thighs could go into casserole with veggies and small potatoes or used in a pie.

There's loads of casserole recipes, with olives, with peppers and paprika, with wine or cider etc.
    Or choose an Asian recipe stirfry style with noodles or rice.
    Real or cheats style risotto

If you can joint the chickens before freezing , I'd suggest marinating some raw meat (thighs would be best) in spices before making a dryish curry. Even better if you can add yoghurt to the marinade.

And keep the wings together to make sticky wings. Use the wing tips in the soup broth.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • suzeesu2000
    Options
    And don’t forget the gallon or so of chicken stock that can be made from boiling the bones too. Then grind up the dried bones to a powder and use on the garden as fertiliser. 
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business