Can anyone recommend or advise which Heated body Warmer to buy

Options
I want to buy one of the body warmers which is heated by a battery pack. Its a Christmas present for someone who is not very mobile and needs to sit around a lot.

I have looked at them on Amazon and they range from around £20 to near £100. The thing is that all the photos and descriptions seem similar so I don't know which to go for. As its getting close to Christmas I need to order quickly and don't want to be having to send back and re-order  if I make the wrong choice so wondered if anyone has one and can recommend. 

I would prefer to pay no more than around £50 but obviously you get what you pay for so dont want to plump for the cheapest and find it useless. Does anyone have one they can suggest please.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 December 2023 at 5:35AM
    Options
    My 92 year old grandad got one for £50 on Amazon and it didn’t come with the battery, in fact a LOT of them don’t but it’s in very fine print, if at all. 
    Be careful not to get caught out like him. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Im actually thinking I may go for a heated blanket now as most of the reviews are not as glowing as the photos.
  • sarah1972
    Options
    swingaloo said:
    Im actually thinking I may go for a heated blanket now as most of the reviews are not as glowing as the photos.
    Most definitely more beneficial x 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    My 92 year old grandad got one for £50 on Amazon and it didn’t come with the battery, in fact a LOT of them don’t but it’s in very fine print, if at all. 
    I’ve looked at these for myself, I was always under the impression they was powered by a power bank? I never actually bought one (a work friend has one that is powered by a power bank).

I never bought one for the same reasons, a lot of choice and a huge price difference. The work friend paid something stupid like £150 for his.
  • nachtvlinders
    nachtvlinders Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been umming and arrhing for ages to buy one. I think The Ororo gilet

Amazon.co.uk: ORORO

is meant to be good as it's had some good reviews. Although, it is rather expensive at around £100. I changed my mind about buying it and relied on very good thermals (Ultra Warm Heattech by Uniqlo, rollneck top and leggings); cashmere jumper, wool scarf and hat and fingerless gloves (WFH) and lastly an electric food muff for about £34 off eBay. I've survived two winters and it's been okay. I have been told by a friend that they use a heated mat to sit on, so maybe that might be a useful item for your friend for home use. 
  • sarah1972
    Options
    Dan83 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    I’ve looked at these for myself, I was always under the impression they was powered by a power bank? I never actually bought one (a work friend has one that is powered by a power bank).

I never bought one for the same reasons, a lot of choice and a huge price difference. The work friend paid something stupid like £150 for his.
    Yes they are, most of them don’t come with one though. My grandad paid £50 for a flimsy body warmer and then realised he needed to buy the power pack too. 
  • Granadalad
    Granadalad Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought an Ororo golf gilet last month. It came with a battery and worked well, but the battery failed after a couple of  weeks. Credit to Ororo though, they replied to my email enquiry immediately and replaced the battery by post. Daughter in law also has Ororo heated apparel. My initial purchase arrived with an offer to buy a spare battery with a 25% discount. Their reviews are very good.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback