Tiny Budget Christmas (Gifts excluded)

Options
We've had a couple of situations come up and now have to do Christmas on a tight budget. 
Luckily, we have the majority of our gifts sorted already. However, the problem lies with the rest—food, decorations, festive fun, activities, etc. 
I am still figuring out where to start, and I'd like some advice or tips on how to make it special on next to nothing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated; I'm stressed about it. We've had a rough year emotionally, and to finish it all off with an unexpected financial blow has topped it all.

Comments

• swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you got children and if so, what ages?
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Right.
    Food 1st. There is no law that says you gave to kill a turkey for Christmas. Look at cheaper alternatives (I know people who are having curry, one a veg curry).
    Decs. Did you ever see the episode of The Good Life when Margo cancelled Xmas but did draw the line at having a paper hat made from a red top paper. Could you make home made decs using what you have at hand. Make it a fun activity for the family with prizes for daftest/ most resourceful/ imaginative. Prizes could be things like immunity from washing up duty or having 1st dibs into the sweets.
    Fun - try daft games such as Give Us a Clue, or traditional board games like snakes and ladders.
    Scour charity shops for cheesy DVDs.
    Activities could include Hunt the "whatever" or just go for a walk to see people's house lights.
    Dont know if any of these help, hope you have a great time whatever you decide.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot of the supermarkets did the basic veggies eg carrots, spuds, etc cheaper the couples of weeks before Xmas last year. Xmas dinner is basically a posh roast, a lot of people prefer chicken anyway. Also there’s no need for posh boxes of biscuits, the basic Jaffa cakes, bourbons etc are just as nice ( put them in a plate and you can barely tell) 
    We tend to have leftovers on Boxing Day, bubble and sqeak and sandwiches.
    If you can use what you have in so decorate your table with decorations you already have, you don’t need new decorations every year, we’ve got some that are 30 years old.
    If you’re a baker even better, again use what you’ve got in already as much as possible.
    If you’re having guests don’t be afraid to ask them to bring something. 
    The main thing is don’t feel guilty, spend what you can afford, as it’s one day. There will be loads of people paying off Xmas unlike Easter but that doesn’t make them enjoy it more.

🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Decorations + activities combined - paper chains, cut snowflakes, folded angels... there are loads of paper ornaments depending on patience, dexterity and amount of time to fill!  Some can serve as cards too, instead of buying them. 
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 December 2023 at 7:12AM
    Options
    Don't you have decorations from last year? I keep my baubles, tinsel etc and use the same ones... Is that not what you're supposed to do?

I've bought lindor sweets as my chocolate decorations, and have hung them on the tree with embroidery thread - you could do the same with quality street or any wrapped sweets 

I got my cards and gift wrap in the January 2023 sales, 75% - 90% off.

On lunch, absolutely agree you don't need a turkey, a chicken is usually nicer too.
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    Invest in a Radio Times and circle everything you want to watch - tv is free.

Use the time off to do a big declutter and put stuff on Olio or even eBay it and make a few quid. You can also sell on Olio for free but it’s a bit hit and miss.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use an artificial tree and my baubles from previous years. Decorating costs me zilch. If you wish to put something up - and it's not compulsory at all  - a decorated tree would suffice.

Food - how many of you will there be on Xmas day or any of the others. Veg is cheap if you buy things like carrots or frozen peas.  Set a budget and stick to it, you don't have to have turkey - many people dislike it anyway. You don't need to buy extra stuff. If you have guests coming  one day and intended doing buffet type food could you explain the situation and get each to fetch a dish over. Activities it would help if we knew what your household consisted of, adults, teens, little children etc? Look to the Church for events running . Last night I attended a Carol service in our unused Medieval Church. Complimentary hot drinks/mulled wine and mince pies/biscuits afterwards. Donation plate for anyone wishing to contribute to it but that was the only cost and it was voluntary.  Go for a walk, in woods if nearby or other pleasant walk
  • bubblypop
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies so far; very helpful.

A few of you have asked about ages. We have three children, who are 19, 13, and 8. Our middle child has additional needs and presents much younger. 
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You've got your Christmas presents sorted already and that's a big plus. For the non -food stuff you've listed aim for as much as possible to be using items you already have in. I'm guessing with the youngest 8 years old you still have the Santa stop here and the mince pie plates etc. If you don't already do this gather these up, bake some goodies as previously suggested and throw the lot into a box with an attached letter from Santa's elves or reindeers. If you don't have a box then a carrier bag, if you don't have  bag then throw the whole lot under a towel with the letter on top. 8 was the last age that my 2 humoured me they believed (before putting me straight when they were adults!). Would any of them be interested in having a pamper session with you? If so dig out any lotions and creams and put it all together for you to spend an evening doing.. Know anyone with a holly bush that would be ok with you having some to create decs with. My son has one outside his cottage and would be more than ok if someone asked him for some. Dig out old board games to play. Most families tend to have them, if not ask friends/relatives/neighbours if you could borrow something. 
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You already know what foods your family likes so if you want a roast turkey buy a frozen one as they are cheaper the rest of the plate can be filled with the cheap veg that all the supermarkets will be selling. If you want to set up a buffet type meal then a selection of sandwiches always go down well, cheese egg ham trimmings etc cut them into crustless strips or triangles if you want to make it look posh. Flattening slices of bread and rolling up with grated cheese then cut into pinwheels  look good. Choose a selection of cheap fruit and cut up to make a fruit salad, make a trifle rather than buy one. You do not need pre packaged party food. Go foraging for greenery like ivy if you wan fresh decorations tart it up with baubles.
    Make chunky vegetable soup with leftovers. If it is  dry go for brisk walks. Old style games such as pass the parcel chardades or statues can be fun if you have sufficient numbers involved.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback