Council Tax debt

My partner has recieved a council tax demand for unpaid portions of council tax dating back to 1997. Some years it's for less than £100, but others are as much as £800. The debts total £3500. She is only in her late 20's, and has never had a proper full time job. Over the last 3 years, she has been a full time student, and before that, a stay at home mum to her 3 young kids. Most of the time it was in private rented accomodation where she stayed, and just in the last 3 years of being a student has she had a council house.

The sheriff officers are now on the trail over the debt, but I fail to see how they can pursue debts from 1997, and further, try and recover debt from someone who was struggling with 2 kids, solely living on income support at the time. She does not remember if she had always claimed the full amount of council tax benefit.

I live in Scotland, and i think the rule about debt over 6 years cannot be pursued does not count here. Also, I think it may be the case that Council Tax debt does not expire?

And help/ ideas would be gratefully recieved.



  • Malestrom
    Malestrom Posts: 983 Forumite
    Not sure if this is of any help; Recovery of Council Tax in Scotland
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
  • I thought the same till a letter arrived saying I owed them £500 from six year ago!
    I said it was six years ago and they said yes it was? But you never paid it off and you still owe it.
    If you don’t pay the bill? They will take it from your Benefits or out of your wage! And they will take a large amount! Believe me I know.

    Get in touch and arrange a pay a certain amount, if you don’t pay? They send the bailiffs round and they don’t leave you alone.
    I was just happy it was paid off because it was driving me crazy.
    I'm not poor i'm just skint
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

    She needs to check that this is the right amount especially as she has changed situations a bit. Was council tax included in her private rented accommodation for example? She could take all paperwork to Citizens Advice to have it looked at properly. She shouldn't ignore it though as ultimately it could result in prison.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards