We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Council Tax debt
flip01
Posts: 51 Forumite
My partner has recieved a council tax demand for unpaid portions of council tax dating back to 1997. Some years it's for less than £100, but others are as much as £800. The debts total £3500. She is only in her late 20's, and has never had a proper full time job. Over the last 3 years, she has been a full time student, and before that, a stay at home mum to her 3 young kids. Most of the time it was in private rented accomodation where she stayed, and just in the last 3 years of being a student has she had a council house.
The sheriff officers are now on the trail over the debt, but I fail to see how they can pursue debts from 1997, and further, try and recover debt from someone who was struggling with 2 kids, solely living on income support at the time. She does not remember if she had always claimed the full amount of council tax benefit.
I live in Scotland, and i think the rule about debt over 6 years cannot be pursued does not count here. Also, I think it may be the case that Council Tax debt does not expire?
And help/ ideas would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks
The sheriff officers are now on the trail over the debt, but I fail to see how they can pursue debts from 1997, and further, try and recover debt from someone who was struggling with 2 kids, solely living on income support at the time. She does not remember if she had always claimed the full amount of council tax benefit.
I live in Scotland, and i think the rule about debt over 6 years cannot be pursued does not count here. Also, I think it may be the case that Council Tax debt does not expire?
And help/ ideas would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks
0
Comments
-
Not sure if this is of any help; Recovery of Council Tax in ScotlandHe huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)0
-
I thought the same till a letter arrived saying I owed them £500 from six year ago!
I said it was six years ago and they said yes it was? But you never paid it off and you still owe it.
If you don’t pay the bill? They will take it from your Benefits or out of your wage! And they will take a large amount! Believe me I know.
Get in touch and arrange a pay a certain amount, if you don’t pay? They send the bailiffs round and they don’t leave you alone.
I was just happy it was paid off because it was driving me crazy.I'm not poor i'm just skint0 -
flip,
She needs to check that this is the right amount especially as she has changed situations a bit. Was council tax included in her private rented accommodation for example? She could take all paperwork to Citizens Advice to have it looked at properly. She shouldn't ignore it though as ultimately it could result in prison.Torgwen..........
...........0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
