Capital Gains allowance and calculation

Hi, I have Power of Attorney for my elderly mother and have just sold a house (not her residence) that she owned, to pay for care costs. There will be a hefty CGT bill as she bought the house in 1985. I would like to make use of the available allowances, one problem is that there is no longer any record of what she paid her Solicitor on purchase. Will HMRC accept a reasonable estimate or do they need documentary proof?
My other question is, does installation of central heating qualify as an improvement for CGT purposes?
Thanks

Comments

• Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,382
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's a bit old for Zoopla, although it's always worth a look. The Land Registry Proprietorship Register only goes back to 1995. If there was no central heating before the installation, and the cost was not set against rent, it should be able to be included as an improvement.
  • An independent agent should be able to provide you with an estimate. Spending £150 - £200 on this might save hassle in the long run. Why not try the agent engaged in the recent sale?
  • Just to clarify, I know what she paid for the house, it's the associated legal costs that there is no record of. I need to know if I can use an estimate
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,382
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just to clarify, I know what she paid for the house, it's the associated legal costs that there is no record of. I need to know if I can use an estimate
    As long as you explain that it is an estimate.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback