Teenage son and jobs

2»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    A paper round is part time job,like any other part time job. No tax/nic would be due on £20 a week so no problem getting cash in hand. I have no doubt the shop owner is claiming  these wages  as part of his business expenses. 
    Your son’s total income is his paper round money and his kitchen work money. 
    Contact HMRC , with your son beside you so he can give permission for you to speak on his behalf. You could try the web chat.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TimC2023 said:
    TimC2023 said:
    My teenage son (15 just turned 16) for the last two years has had a paper round. It's £20 cash on a friday. About 5 months ago he got a job working one shift a week in a pub kitchen.
    I've just found out he's getting taxed 25% for the pub job because he has 'a second job'.

Should a £20 paper round count as a job. It's cash work and so I'm confused by it and what is right for the pub to be taxing him.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pot washing in a pub kitchen. Sorry should have been clearer.

I'll check his tax code.

My question more is whether a paper round really is classed as a second job. If for instance he did two different pot wash jobs or two jobs that where 'full employment I wouldn't argue, but I can't see a paper round as full employment if that makes sense.
    Doesn't matter. There is no such law that says a 2nd job should be taxed at 25%
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If he is only working one shift a week at the job surely he is not earning enough anyway to pay tax.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    TimC2023 said:
    TimC2023 said:
    My teenage son (15 just turned 16) for the last two years has had a paper round. It's £20 cash on a friday. About 5 months ago he got a job working one shift a week in a pub kitchen.
    I've just found out he's getting taxed 25% for the pub job because he has 'a second job'.

Should a £20 paper round count as a job. It's cash work and so I'm confused by it and what is right for the pub to be taxing him.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pot washing in a pub kitchen. Sorry should have been clearer.

I'll check his tax code.

My question more is whether a paper round really is classed as a second job. If for instance he did two different pot wash jobs or two jobs that where 'full employment I wouldn't argue, but I can't see a paper round as full employment if that makes sense.
    You're getting tied up looking at the wrong thing, the paper round is irrelevant to a degree and the question is whether his combined earnings are under the personal allowance of £12,570 which they will be - in which case he won't suffer tax (slightly different rate for national insurance but i expect still earns too little).

As such he shouldn't be taxed and can reclaim tax incurred to date.

As a random point, you may wish to not resolve it until the end of the tax year as can be a good way to save having an amount taken at source and then paid back later when you reclaim so it's a large one off amount.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback