How do I cancel BT

Options
Hi so I’ve just received a date to be evicted. Section 21 no fault. I have no where to go and I called BT to see about canceling a service that will be of no use to me and will not be able to access when I’m homeless. They will not waive there extortionate cancellation fee, nor can the service be suspended. At a time like this I do not need the added expense or the grief of dealing with this company. Does anyone have any ideas please. Thank you 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Presuming you are able to find alternative accommodation would they be able to transfer the service?

fyi - just because you have a date to be evicted doesn't necessarily mean you have to leave on/by that date.  You could just dig your heels in continue to try and find somewhere else.  I would suggest that you ensure that anything of value is relocated to a friend's back bedroom or similar along with a suitcase full of essentials just in case someone changes the locks on you when you pop out at some point.  

Best of luck with finding your new home.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Might be worth a try emailing the CEO philip.jansen@bt.com. Your issue should then at least be seen by someone with perhaps a little more scope to act than a front-line contact centre person. 

Maybe say you wish to keep your account (XXNNNN NNNN) open, just temporarily suspend the phone & broadband arrangement while you find alternative accommodation. Say nice things about being with BT and if you've been with them a while big up that you're a loyal customer and would like to stay with them. 

Good luck. 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This is not a priority, you need to focus on the main issue of loosing your home. If you have no where else to go you stay put you can’t just be put out on the street. Start a thread over on the housing board asking for advice on what you should be doing regards the eviction. 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @mebu60 the OP has already said the service cannot be suspended.

Unfortunately the only two options are to cancel and pay the fee or move the service to a new property in this sort of situation and that applies to all ISPs as far as I know.

@wendynichols best of luck finding a new home,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure