Wrapping presents sustainably & cheaply 🎁

Options
MSE Rhiannon's blog gives some ideas about wrapping presents for Christmas (or any other special occasion):

Wrapping presents sustainably - how to reuse or recycle paper and fabric to save money and help the environment

It includes:
Got green and/or MoneySaving wrapping tips of your own? Please let us know.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Simple thing is to make cloth bags with a drawstring.  Nice and easy and will last for years.  

Or use something that isn't wrapping paper.....my family gave up buying paper for presents decades back.  We all had newspapers then so the trick was to use the coloured comics from the weekend papers.  If you didn't have those then just use the regular newspaper and either draw pictures on it or position choice headlines to comic effect.  The other biggie was reusing wallpaper....we moved into a house and the previous owner had done the front hall in white and red flock wallpaper - you know, the velvety stuff, probably not seen since the mid 70s.  (hopefully) One side of the hall was huge red and white stripes and the other red roses on a white background.  Mom was a decorator more in the Laura Ashley line so had us carefully strip this boisterous stuff off the walls.  It was rolled up and put in the loft and would come out every year to wrap large items until it was finally all used up.  Not necessarily a prime environmentally friendly item but at least it all got a second use.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    I have several old road maps which are way out of date especially as most people use sat nav. I use pages for wrapping presents - colourful and interesting.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gift bags can be reused many, many times, all you need to do is make a new label to tie on.

Most of my friends and family now do this with no worry of who it was from originally. Bags might come back around a few times, it makes me smile when they do. A bit of tissue paper (recycled of course!) scrunched up to cover the gifts, job done.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought a 12 pack of cloth wine bags online a few years ago - they were and still are about £1 each, so similar price point to the paper bags - you just need to 'invest' in a few to make it worth postage costs as I've never seen them in shops. I went for generic red, so Christmassy enough for this time of year but absolutely fine for other occasions. 

I find they're hardier and easier to store than paper/cardboard gift bags - I have cats and left alone with the paper kind, they don't last long. Not had any gifted back to me yet, but it's only a matter of time.

I'm quite tempted to try cloth wrapping next year, for gifts that are staying within our house, at least. Fingers crossed I can pick up some suitably Christmassy fabric dirt cheap once the big day has been and gone. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback