Mortgage free… la belle vie!

Hello everyone,

I love reading the diaries on here & the debt free wannabe boards and am in awe of the journeys undertaken and the sheer longevity of some of the diaries! I have decided that a diary might be a healthy outlet for my money and budgeting fixation - so I’m taking the leap! 

I turned 29 this month and would love to be mortgage free by the time that I am 45.

Now - this may be in our current home, which would be nice. I live with my fiancé in a really beautiful part of the country. 

But we are in agreement that if the opportunity were to present itself, and the cards fell into place, we would very much like to move to France. My grandmother was French and I grew up visiting her, so it would be to this same area we would hope to move. Doing so would allow us to fulfil a lifelong dream of living in a slightly warmer climate and owning some land, something that we could not afford to buy in England. Of course, property is on a whole cheaper and so being mortgage free by 45 albeit in France would be the aim, too. So - that’s the dream! Let’s see if I can make it happen. The absolute dream - if I even dare be so bold as to write it down - would be to own a one-bed apartment here in our current town, so that we had a base here for visiting family.

We have a small amount on a 0% credit card of £800 from a lovely holiday we did not quite budget enough for in April. Lessons learnt - holiday pot increased. We haven’t been consistent in paying this off and I really want it gone by February next year. Other than that, no other debts aside from the mortgage.

Two separate occasions of getting into £1.5k of credit card debt in my early twenties (that I couldn’t feasibly pay off on my minimum wage salary) scarred and scared me into never accessing credit again, and I truly don’t think I ever will. Now, I would just like to get better at saving to really make sure of that!

Comments

• Hello everyone,

I love reading the diaries on here and the debt free wannabe board and am in awe of the journeys undertaken and the sheer longevity of some of the diaries! I have decided that a diary might be a healthy outlet for my money and budgeting fixation - so I’m taking the leap! 

I have just turned 29 and would love to be mortgage free by the time that I am 45.

Now - this may be in our current home, which would be nice. I live with my fiancé in a really beautiful part of the country. 

But we are in agreement that if the opportunity were to present itself, and the cards fell into place correctly, we would very much like to move to France. My grandmother was French and I grew up visiting her, so it would be to this same area we would hope to move. Doing so would allow us to fulfil a lifelong dream of living in a slightly warmer climate and owning some land, something that we could not afford to buy in England. So - that’s the dream! Let’s see if I can make it happen. The absolute dream - if I even dare be so bold as to write it down - would be to own a one-bed apartment here in our current town, so that we had a base here for visiting family.

We have a small amount on a 0% credit card of £800 from a lovely holiday we did not quite budget enough for in April. Lessons learnt - holiday pot increased. We haven’t been consistent in paying this off and I really want it gone by February next year. Other than that, no other debts aside from the mortgage.

Two separate occasions of getting into £1.5k of credit card debt in my early twenties (that I couldn’t feasibly pay off on my minimum wage salary) scarred and scared me into never accessing credit again, and I truly don’t think I ever will. Now, I would just like to get better at saving to really make sure of that!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,274
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    I will follow along.
    Welcome to MSE too!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback