PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Should I Buy a Food Processor?

Options
I have some gift card money and I am thinking of buying a food processor. I have never had one before. I am disabled and standing for long periods to cook is difficult, so I thought maybe a food processor would speed things up and allow me to cook more fresh and healthy food, cheaply and quickly,  as I often buy ready meals. 
However’ I have been caught in the pointless gadget trap before (hello George Forman grill) and wonder if they are really useful or not? 

All advice and opinions welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• WickedLady4
    Options
    I have a cheapie supermarket one but it lives in the cupboard and only comes out for recipes where I would do a lot of rubbing in. 

I have a small chopper which is also used infrequently, mainly to make specific things like smoked mackerel pate. My hand mixer is my most used thing and I wouldn't want to be without that.
  • DiamondLil
    Options
    Coincidentally, yesterday I cleared a corner cupboard and found my food processor hidden away at the back. It's now on the dining table ready to pack away in another cupboard "just in case I might need it one day" or, more likely, give away. I do cook from scratch but find cleaning a knife and chopping board is much less faff than cleaning all the parts of the food processor. I have a tiny electric chopper for the rare times I have a lot of chopping to do.

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I mainly use mine for grating cheese, or carrots for coleslaw - as others have said, The effort of getting it out and washing it up, means just using a knife is sometimes quicker. However, if you can’t stand for long, it could be a big help - in that case, I would want it out on the counter all the time.

A friend generously gave me her used Moulinex processor, and it was like a racehorse compared to a pony. However, it took up a lot of space, and I already have a stand mixer for making cakes and pastry - if I hadn’t had that, I might’ve kept the Moulinex because it would have done both jobs. I passed it onto another friend. It was lovely to try it, because I would never have afforded something like that. I think it depends on what sort of meals you do, how many in the household, and how much budget you have
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback