Withdraw pension to pay HMRC

TheLearner2008
TheLearner2008 Posts: 141
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 25 November 2023 at 3:06PM in Debt-free wannabe
Perhaps you are not aware of the thousands of contractors that are being targeted by MSC legislation. 

Anyway turns out I might have a huge tax bill. 

Is it possible for me to withdraw my private pension to pay debt?

I don’t live in the uk anymore anyway. 
Debt 1 June 2017: £35,000.00 ~ Debt now: £0

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,271
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It will depend on what type of pension it is, what the normal & early retirement dates are and what your age is. 

You might be able to transfer it out of the UK via a QROPS and then access the money in the new country it lands in according to their rules.  But do take great care in this as if you get it wrong the money transferred might be subject to another 40% bill from HMRC.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,221
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Wait until you actually get a bill and then take advice.

Using your pension pot would be the last option I would consider
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,526
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    If its a private or workplace pension, you can access it at age 55, not before.

Depending on how much is invested, you can take lump sum payments, or the whole lot as cash.

Unsure if living abroad may be an issue tax wise, in any case, advice should be taken before hand.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback