Should I apply for council tax band reduction? (Scotland)

Options
I have read the MSE Guide on claiming a council tax band reduction and I am hoping to get more guidance and advice from the forum. 

I suppose my ultimate question would be should I do it and what's the harm? 

I'm currently a Band F. I have looked at neighbouring council tax bands and there are similar properties also a Band F but likewise there are much larger properties also in a Band F. 

When I use the calculator to estimate the property value in 1991 (using data from the 3 previous sales of this property), it shows Band D or E. 

I can't foresee there being a risk of my council tax banding increasing, so although MSE advise not to do it unless you are 100% sure, I can't see why I shouldn't try? Surely the worst they can do is say no? 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 November 2023 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Because of the way banding works, it would be quite normal to find larger properties in the same band, it is not a good reason to seek a band reduction.

House price calculators are inaccurate and I doubt the Assessor would accept this as good evidence for a band reduction. What about your own purchase, what did the calculator suggest for the 1991 value?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • DixieBear123
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your response. 

For the 1991 values, I based it from a sale in 2001 (when the property was built), 2016 and 2023 (my own purchase). The estimate showed E, D, E respectively. 
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    If you are still within the 6 month time limit for appeals, you will need to find good evidence to support your case and would suggest you look for similar houses in the area in a lower band.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • DixieBear123
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I suppose ultimately I just want to know what's the harm in trying? 

I understand there could be a risk in some scenarios that the band is increased, however I do not consider that to be a risk for my situation. (my house is approximately 100 sqm and there are others which are substantially larger at 150 sqm but in the same banding, so I do not see how they could reasonably increase mine). 

Although it's unlikely to be unsuccessful, why not chance it and see? 
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I suppose ultimately I just want to know what's the harm in trying? 

I understand there could be a risk in some scenarios that the band is increased, however I do not consider that to be a risk for my situation. (my house is approximately 100 sqm and there are others which are substantially larger at 150 sqm but in the same banding, so I do not see how they could reasonably increase mine). 

The primary risks are that your band goes up and/or so does the band of your neighbours.

So keep your head down when they start looking for the culprit....
  • lincroft1710
    Options

As @MorningcoffeeIV has said there is a risk the larger properties' bands may be increased. Unless you have good evidence to support your case (and nothing you have quoted so far is good evidence) it would be a waste of everybody's time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback