Voluntary class 2 for just part of a year

Recently returned to UK (grew up here but left after finishing school) and have done a few Deliveroo shifts while looking for steady work. Just occurred to me that I can register as self employed.

If I start paying voluntary class 2 from now, with just over 4 months left in this tax year, is it enough to get full credit? I've seen the threshold expressed as an amount of money, but don't understand how that converts to weeks of voluntary contributions.

I suppose I'd be offered the chance to pay up the year if not, but that can be more expensive and I don't absolutely need this year on my record.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 November 2023 at 4:10PM
    Class 2 is worked in weeks so you would pay for the weeks you were SE at class 2 and would need to top up the remainder at class 3
    Have you had a state pension forecast ?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,634
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Recently returned to UK (grew up here but left after finishing school) and have done a few Deliveroo shifts while looking for steady work. Just occurred to me that I can register as self employed.

If I start paying voluntary class 2 from now, with just over 4 months left in this tax year, is it enough to get full credit? I've seen the threshold expressed as an amount of money, but don't understand how that converts to weeks of voluntary contributions.

I suppose I'd be offered the chance to pay up the year if not, but that can be more expensive and I don't absolutely need this year on my record.
    You can (should?) register as self employed, then pay any missing NI contributions via your Self Assessment return.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • QrizB said:
    You can (should?) register as self employed, then pay any missing NI contributions via your Self Assessment return.

It's optional to register as self employed if profits are below £12570 though, isn't it? So the only reason to do it is so I could pay voluntary class 2 NI. I've made less than £400 so far, and not likely to get anywhere near the limit before i start a PAYE job.

• molerat said:
    Class 2 is worked in weeks so you would pay for the weeks you were SE at class 2 and would need to top up the remainder at class 3
    Have you had a state pension forecast ?
    Yes, have had a forecast. I can get to 35 years without any credits for this one.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,634
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 November 2023 at 6:56PM
    QrizB said:

It's optional to register as self employed if profits are below £12570 though, isn't it?
    It's necessary to register if you earn more than £1000pa, according to the Government.
    Also confirmed here:
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback