Money Moral Dilemma: Should we leave our golf club and rejoin later to get cheaper membership?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 21 November 2023 at 4:08PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My golf club offers cheaper rates to new members than to those renewing. We've approached the owners about the unfairness of this, but they didn't seem to take us seriously, so a large group of us are now all thinking of leaving, playing somewhere else for a year, then rejoining for the cheaper rates. While I don't want to damage the club, we're being penalised for our loyalty. Is walking out the right thing to do?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,345 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you leave the club will they allow you back in?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, it is unfair, I cannot stand it when new customers get better deals than loyal long-standing customers.

But I think it would depend on several things?
    1. If you leave, will you be allowed to go back?
    2. What is the price difference, if it is pennies, is it worth it?
    3. Is there anywhere else local that you would like to join?
    Once you have answered these, you will know the right way to go.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who runs your golf club? 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • evosaurus
    Options
    My club offers the same rate for 12 months at the end of the year before the new rate hike in January. This makes it seem like it’s cheaper - are you sure it’s not something similar?

Most clubs don’t allow previous members to join for 13 months after leaving, which means there’s a one month limbo.

If you’ve considered all of this and still think it’s worth it to get a cheaper rate, why not?
  • Emerion
    Emerion Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How large a group? If you are all resolute in your decision you could write a letter to the club, signed by all, explaining your position. They might rethink. 
  • ripongrammargirl
    Options
    Sounds a great idea and if there is a large group then the owners might think again. However be careful of any nasty clauses as will you be classed as a “new” member just because there has been a year’s gap or will it be seen that you have been a previous member so new memberships don’t apply? A lot of companies seem to add clauses like this so avoiding paying out to people or giving better rates etc.  
    Or better still save some cash and don’t join any clubs to avoid the extortionate fees they charge. 
  • retired19
    Options
    Yes leave if they've already refused to rethink their policy. Vote with your feet and think twice about your return. Loyalty should be rewarded 
  • Matt8888
    Options
    Firstly it is not really a moral issue, it a straight customer decision based on cost and convenience etc. Secondly, businesses are perfectly entitled to offer better rates to attract new custom. As a club member you will likely get better future rates and services the more new members the club can secure. If this lower rate was applied to all members the club could likely not afford it, so you are complaining about not getting something that would be impossible for the club to give you all. This is simple business practice. You are not being cheated. The club is doing its best to stay solvent and get more members in to secure its future. If a load of you leave and want to join again, you will likely return to find the club in a more precarious position, which will not be good for you and your friends. Of course if you do not value one club above another you could switch around every year or two and save money for sure. So you need to ask yourself if you like and value your club (then stay) or do not really care which club you use (in which case move around and save money). My club does what you say and I completely understand why. I like my club (the course, the bar, the members) so I will stay. It sounds to me like your club secretary should have a meeting of those disaffected and explain "Business 101" and why the club is doing this for new members but not the rest of you. It ain't rocket science to be honest though! Anyway, good luck with your decision.
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is a business then yes you pay your money and take your choice, albeit golf can be an expensive pastime with the equipment costs of the sticks, caddy and silly hats all paid for upfront and giving new members a small percentage discount might be reasonable for longevity of the business. 

If it is a club with a committee and AGM process then you need to ensure you have correctly raised it at the appropriate time and manner for discussion by the full membership... 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback